Checker Band

In November 1885 the Honorable Carter H. Harrison, Sr. and the Honorable Lambert Tree generously provided for a series of gold medals to be annually awarded to members of the Police and Fire Departments. The first member of the Police Department to be awarded the medal was Patrolman James Brennan of the Central Detail.

Carter H. Harrison Sr.   Lambert Tree
Carter H. Harrison, Sr
1825 – 1893
  Lambert Tree
1832 – 1910

Carter H. Harrison Medal Carter H. Harrison / Lambert Tree Medal Lambert Tree Medal

Granted to sworn members who have performed distinguished acts of bravery in the protection of life or property. The awards are presented in the form of a medal and ribbon bar on an annual basis by trustees of the respective award funds. This award is presented to Department sworn members in the form of a ribbon bar, medal, and certificate.


|  1880's   |  1890's   |  1900's   |  1910's   |  1920's   |  1930's   |  1940's   |  1950's   |  1960's   |  1970's   |  1980's   |  1990's  |

|  2000's   |  2010's  |

Checker Band


Police Officer DEL VALLE, Ruben
Police Officer FRIEDIEB, Jeffrey
    Honored at a City Hall ceremony, Police Officer's Ruben Del Valle and Jeffrey Friedlieb, received the Carter H. Harrison Award.

Del valle shot and pursued a drug suspect, after he shot them. Friedlieb managed to shoot the suspect after both officers had been shot in the head.

"After I got shot, I went down, and luckily I was still conscious, so I was able to fire back, and wound the offender," he said. Del Valle credited their training for their quick reactions.

"You know, your adrenaline takes over, and you're really just thinking about catching the guy," he said. "So, you know, my partner was able to fire back, and we both assisted each other up, and chased the offender."

Other officers arrived and took Del Valle and Friedlieb to the hospital.

Friedlieb still has a bullet lodged behind his left ear. The suspect was later arrested and charged with two counts of attempted first-degree murder.

(CBS Chicago News, October 8, 2013)


Police Officer LOPEZ, Joseph
    Honored at a City Hall ceremony, Police Officer Joseph Lopez, an 8 year veteran assigned to the 16th district, received the Lambert Tree Award.

Lopez responded to a call of shots fired and upon arrival, a witness related that the offender he observed shooting had fled in an SUV. Lopez located the parked vehicle several minutes later and as he approached the vehicle, the rear passenger door opened and a male subject fled on foot. Lopez pursued the subject to a residential parking lot, where the offender turned toward Lopez and pointed a semi-automatic handgun directly at him. The offender then fired three times at Lopez, who fearing for his life aimed his weapon at the offender.

Lopez displayed remarkable restraint by not returning fire because of a concern that additional gunfire would endanger citizens walking near the armed offender. The foot pursuit continued to the rear gangway and up the stairs. Lopez continued behind him up the stairs. The offender realizing he had nowhere to run began walking down the stairs. Lopez suddenly came face-to-face with the offender. The offender then pointed the handgun at Lopez. Fearing for his life, the he discharged his duty weapon one time, fatally striking the offender. The offender's weapon, a loaded 9mm semi-automatic handgun, fell to the ground but was recovered immediately.


Sergeant KACZYNSKI, Jason
Police Officer THORP, Kimberly
    Honored at a City Hall ceremony, Police Sergeant Jason Kaczynski and Police Officer Kimberly Thorp received the Carter Harrison Award.

The two officers, who were on desk duty and not wearing bulletproof vests, stepped into the line of fire in July 2010 when they heard gun shots outside a police station.

Thorp was met with a spray of bullets as she exited the doorway. She took aim at a gun-wielding man advancing toward her. Kaczynski was close behind with his weapon drawn, and fired several shots striking the gunman in the chest.

At the time, neither knew that Officer Thor Soderberg had been mortally wounded in the parking lot moments before they arrived on the scene.

"He went out that day not knowing that he wouldn't come home," Thorp said. "It's a lot of mixed emotions getting awards like this when he has given the ultimate sacrifice."

(Chicago Tribune, October 4,2011)


Detective CICCOLA, Dominick
    Detective Dominick Ciccola was presented with the Lambert Tree Award by Mayor Daley, assisted by Superintendent Jody P. Weis at a special ceremony held in the city council chambers.

Putting an end to string of 25 dangerous armed robberies; On May 6, 2009, on the Far Northwest Side, Detective Ciccola, because of good police work, anticipated where the armed robber might strike next. He and his partner were waiting for the armed man outside a gas station.

"He waved the weapon toward me, and threatened by life and my partner's life, and I used deadly force," said Ciccola.

(ABC 7 News, October 5, 2010)


Checker Band


Sergeant DALY, Charles
    The Carter H. Harrison Award was presented to Sergeant Charles Daly during ceremonies in the City Council Chambers on October 6, 2009. Daly, 39, a Sergeant in the Gang Investigations Unit, was credited with saving his partner's life after fatally shooting a man who pulled a pistol on them last year.

Daly's heroics occurred in October, 2008, after he and another officer engaged in a foot chase with a man they saw creating a disturbance at Chicago and Homan. During the chase, the offender was observed pulling a handgun from his waist band before stumbling to the ground. As the partners attempted to disarm the man, the offender bit both officers on the hand as he tried to grab one of their weapons.

The man then pointed his own gun directly at Daly's partner from point blank range. Daly calmly fired a single shot, wounding the offender and saving his partner's life.

(Chicago Tribune, October 7, 2009)


Deputy Chief WYSINGER, Alfonza
    The Lambert Tree Award, the highest honor for police bravery, was presented to Deputy Chief Alfonza Wysinger.

On June 23, 2007, Wysinger was attending his grandmother's 80th birthday party when he saw someone firing a gun down the street. Wysinger jumped off the porch, exchanged gunfire and chased the person down the street, apprehending him. The gunman, who wounded one of Wysinger's neighbors, was charged with attempted murder of a police officer.

"I didn't have time to think. I just reacted — basically instinct and training. The final mission was to apprehend the bad guy who had wounded an innocent bystander," Wysinger said.

Asked if heroics by the boss sent a message to the rank-and-file, Wysinger said, "It's much better if you lead by example. I've always been a firm believer that, if I'm gonna ask you to do it, I'm gonna go out and do it myself. It goes a long way toward boosting morale and showing them how to do things."

(Chicago Sun-Times, October 6, 2008)


Police Officer NELSON, Richard J.
Police Officer NUNEZ, Felix
Police Officer RHEIN, Charles
Police Officer TENTON, Christopher
    Four police officers, including two SWAT team members, received the Carter H. Harrison Award for valor for rescuing a hostage and killing a gunman at a downtown law office December 8th, 2006.

Officers Christopher Tenton and Richard Nelson were among the first to respond to a call about a man with a gun opening fire on the upper floors of the Citigroup Center Building at 500 W. Madison St. When they arrived, they found a victim on the floor with a fatal gunshot wound to his head and then encountered the gunman -- later identified as Joe Jackson, an inventor who felt that a patent attorney had stolen one of his ideas.

During a 45-minute standoff, Tenton and Nelson tried to talk Jackson into putting his weapon down, the officers said. Jackson, instead, barricaded himself inside one of the building's offices.

At one point, the gunman walked out of the officers' line of sight and executed a hostage, Tenton said. Jackson then reappeared and began reloading his weapon while aiming at another hostage who was administering first aid to a victim, Tenton said.

Fearing that the man would "kill everyone in the building," Tenton said the officers realized immediate action was necessary.

Two SWAT team officers, Felipe Nunez and Charles Rhein, shot and killed Jackson before he could shoot again.

"[Jackson] was prepared for the long haul," Nunez said. "He had extra ammo; he had extra weapons with him."

(Chicago Tribune, October 10, 2007)


Sergeant PLOTKE, Richard Jr.
    The award was presented to Sergeant Richard Plotke Jr. during ceremonies in the City Council Chambers for saving the lives of two suburban police detectives during a violent confrontation. On January 21, 2005, Plotke, who is assigned to the Education and Training Division, volunteered to assist two Morton Grove police detectives serve arrest warrants on two men wanted for home invasion and beating a woman.

After announcing their office and gaining entry to the apartment, the officers were confronted by an offender pointing a semi-automatic handgun directly at them. Plotke grabbed the gunman's arm and a violent struggle ensued. When the gunman pointed his weapon at the sergeant's chest, Plotke fired his service weapon, fatally wounding the assailant. Suddenly, a second gunman fired from the kitchen. One detective was struck in the chest, but was saved by his safety vest. The other detective returned fire, but discovered that his service weapon had malfunctioned. As the offender continued to shoot at the officers, Plotke returned fire, fatally wounding the second gunman and saving the lives of his suburban police partners.

"You think going to a slow district you're gonna be save. That's just not the case. It can happen any time, anywhere. You try and maintain a level of alertness, and hopefully, you'll get through the day," said Sergeant Richard Plotke, Chicago Police Department.

(ABC 7 News, October 10, 2006)


Police Officer ISAAC, Lambert A.
    Police Officer Isaac Lambert, 36, received the Carter H. Harrison Award, another of the city's highest honors for valor. Lambert was honored for catching a man who had robbed a store, hijacked a van and taken a hostage on a high-speed chase on the South Side, authorities said.

The man, Preonn McDaniel, shot from the passenger's side at police cars during the December 11, 2004 chase, authorities said.

The hostage crashed the van into a pole and escaped, and Lambert followed McDaniel on foot, authorities said. After the two exchanged gunfire, the man surrendered, officials said.

"You always try to be safe, no matter what," Lambert said. "A lot of people don't understand. You go into these situations, and you just don't know what's going to happen on a day-to-day basis."

(Chicago Tribune, October 5, 2005)


Police Officer ANDAVERDE, Federico
Police Officer DAKURAS, Andrew J.
    Thursday, September 11, 2003 - Officers Federico Andaverde and Andrew Dakuras were wrapping up a narcotics investigation in the afternoon. They were scheduled to meet an Assistant State's Attorney at Wright College to have a search warrant signed.

Officer Dakuras drove westbound on Grand, approaching Austin, when he and Andaverde saw people running and heard gunshots from the north alley between McVicker and Austin.

They turned right (North) onto McVicker and proceeded about 20 feet down the street when two armed Hispanic males ran out ofthe alley with handguns.

"Directly across from the alley was a school," Andaverde recounted.

"The play lot was full of children from an afterschool program. My partner (Dakuras) pulled the covert vehicle up to the curb. He put the car right in front of the alley to try and shield the play lot. "

As Dakuras pulled the vehicle to the curb, I yelled, 'Police, drop your guns,' and the offenders immediately began firing. We never had a chance to exit the car."

Andaverde and Dakuras immediately returned fire. One of the offenders was struck in the knee and dropped to the ground instantly. The second offender began running south while Dakuras gave chase. Andaverde exited the vehicle to approach the wounded offender.

"Even though he was on the ground, he still had his weapon," said Andaverde, "and I was out of ammunition. I knew I was out of ammo, but he didn't know that, so I put my slide forward as I approached him. I ran up on him and held my empty gun to his head. Then I disarmed him and held his own gun on him."

As Andaverde stood over the wounded offender, two additional offenders with guns appeared in the alley. Andaverde held his own empty gun and the offender's 25mm toward the men and announced his office. They £led.

Meanwhile, Officer Dakuras and the second offender exchanged gunfire as the man attempted to flee. The second offender was struck by a bullet. A Cook County sheriff happened to be driving by in a marked vehicle, and officer Dakuras was able to flag him down to help secure the area and call for backup.

Moments after backup arrived, Andaverde noticed a pain in his leg and a hole in his shorts. When the offenders had first opened fire, a shot had traveled through the passenger side door and hit Andaverde in the right, back pocket. Because of the adrenaline and chaos, Andaverde did not notice he had been hit.

In a stroke of luck for Andaverde, the bullet that passed through the car door had entered Andenverde's back pocket, tore his money, went through his ID, and safely lodged in his wallet.

"I felt a hole in the pocket of myshorts," he said, "and when I took out my wallet, there was a bullet lodged in it. The wallet had stopped the bullet."

The bullet passed through the pictures of his kids (ages 20, 12, 9 and 6), and left only a bruise on his buttock. The 9mm recovered from his wallet matched up with the semiautomatic recovered from the second offender.

Both offenders were charged. The offender Andaverde disarmed was bonded out and is now BFW The second offender is in a coma.

Officers Dakuras and Andaverde both received the Award ofValor. Andaverde also received the Blue Star Award and Dakuras received the Greek Officer of the Year Award from the Hellenic American Police Association for their courage under fire.

Andaverde attributes his survival to the fact that he and his partner returned fire as quickly as they did.

"I was probably hit on the first round. Because we returned fire so quickly, one offender dropped immediately, and we made the second offender duck so he wasn't able to get off a decent shot."

But Andaverde's logical response does not mean he disregards how lucky the outcome really was for him and his partner. He carries a laminated $20 bill that was torn by the bullet as a reminder.

(Chicago Police Star, Volume 36, No.1 2005)


Detective WALSH, Dennis
    In his second day as police superintendent, Philip Cline presented his department's highest award for bravery, the Carter Harrison Award, to Sergeant Dennis Walsh. Walsh, a Calumet Area detective, was off-duty and working security at the Ford City Mall on Oct. 1, 2002, when police chased a robbery suspect into the mall.

After wrestling briefly with the suspect, Walsh made a split-second decision to shoot Duane Armfield, 20, when Armfield, who saw police blocking his flight from the mall, turned back into the crowded shopping center and brandished his gun.

Walsh shot and disarmed him. Armfield was charged with attempted murder, armed robbery, aggravated battery and aggravated assault in the case.

"My first thought was my wife and my family," said Walsh, after the incident, but he said he would not hesitate to take the same action in the future.

(Chicago Tribune, October 8, 2003)


Police Officer RIOS, Miguel - Star #19845
    Police Officer Miguel Rios, Special Operations Section, received the Department's top honor when he was presented the Lambert Tree Award by Mayor Richard M. Daley, assisted by Superintendent Terry G. Hillard, at a special ceremony held in city council chambers in October of 2002.


Patrolman FARRELL, Jerry
Patrolman McGUIRE, Danny
    Police Officers Jerry Farrell and Danny McGuire, who are Explosives Technicians were awarded the Carter H. Harrison Award for bravery, the top award in the Chicago Police Department

They risked their lives to deactivate a bomb in a South Side apartment after another bomb had exploded, killing one man and injuring another, in a domestic dispute.

The officers disarmed the second bomb by using a laser-guided device to shoot a jet of water at the firing pin. If the stream had been off by an inch, the bomb could have exploded, officials said.

McGuire's thoughts also were in Manhattan, where workers continue to search debris from the World Trade Center for the bodies of victims.

"We are not heroes," McGuire said. "The guys in New York that they are burying are the heroes. We are still walking around."

(Chicago Tribune, October 10, 2001)


Patrolman RIDER, Phillip
    Patrolman Phillip Rider received the Lambert Tree Award at City Hall ceremonies.

Rider, who is assigned to the Calumet District, became aware of a disturbance at a liquor store in his neighborhood at 95th Street and Ashland Avenue on August 10, 1999. Four armed robbers had entered the store, wounded two people and killed a clerk when Rider, a 14-year police veteran, came on the scene.

Two robbers were in the getaway car, and one shot at Rider , hitting him in the left shoulder.

"Fortunately, I didn't go down," Rider said after the ceremony. "I was able to return fire and wound two of the offenders." Other officers were able to arrest all four robbers.

"Your training and instincts kind of kick in," Rider said. "It is not till later that you actually stop and think about exactly what happened. That is when your fingers start feeling like ice."

(Chicago Tribune, October 11, 2000)


Checker Band


Patrolman ALLEN, Brian D.
Patrolman JONES, Charles S. Jr.
    Gresham District Patrolmen Charles S. Jones and Brian D. Allen received the Carter H. Harrison Award for their pursuit of three masked gunmen who opened fire on the officers last year as they investigated a series of armed robberies. The officers were able to wound and subsequently arrest one of the gunmen, but two others escaped. During the pursuit, the gunmen fired at least 30 rounds at the two officers, who were not injured, police said.

(Chicago Tribune, October 6, 1999)


Patrolman KOHLES, John J.
Patrolman FARLEY, Edward T.
    At a Tuesday ceremony in City Hall, stories of heroism by was a sobering truth about police and fire work: on any given day, either job can turn deadly in a matter of seconds.

For Gang Crimes Police Officers John Kohles and Edward Farley, winners of their department's highest honor, the Lambert Tree Award, that day was September 24, 1996.

According to the citation for their awards, they were dispatched about 11 a.m. to investigate a tip that a South Side man had bought several guns. The man, Bilal Ashraf, backed away from the officers as they tried to pat him down, pulled a gun from under his shirt and started firing.

"After he shot at me, I kind of just thought, `OK, where am I hit?' I'm still thinking, `I'm not dead.' I didn't feel any pain anywhere," said Kohles, 44, a 21-year veteran of the force. "Then, I knew what I had to do. I had to apprehend the guy the only way I could."

During a running gun battle through the neighborhood, Kohles yelled at passersby to seek cover while Farley, 48, a 12-year veteran, concentrated on the pursuit. Ashraf was fatally shot when he tried to run up the staircase to his apartment, where police said they later found a stockpile of weapons and ammunition.

Kohles said he still gets chills when he recalls the shootout.

"It just went from very peace and calm to where you almost meet your maker," he said.

(Chicago Tribune, October 7, 1998)


Patrolman SILVA, Hector A.
    Locked in a struggle with an armed gang member, Chicago Police Officer Hector Silva saved his life with a trick he learned during his training stint at the Police Academy.

It was in the middle of the afternoon on March 23, 1997 when Silva and his tactical unit partner spotted a gang member handing a gun to an associate as they patrolled the Northwest Side Shakespeare District.

As his partner arrested the first suspect, Silva chased the gunman who kicked in the back door of a house. startling two elderly women as they ate lunch. When the fugitive tried to flee out the front door, Silva, 32, lunged at him and the two men grappled for possession of the gun.

At one point, the other man pointed it toward Silva and tried to pull the trigger.

"He was definitely going to shoot me in the face," said Silva. "As the hammer fell, I jammed my hand into the mechanism preventing it from firing. They told us in the academy that in a worst-case scenario, that would work."

But for Silva, who was lauded for his heroism Tuesday with the Carter H. Harrison Medal, the police department's highest honor, the danger wasn't over.

The struggle continued as the gang member refused to drop the gun and continued his threats to kill the officer before Silva was able to draw his own weapon and shoot his antagonist as the two elderly residents looked on.

Even though he was wounded, the gunman continued his efforts to break free, and Silva said he was forced to shoot him again.

Seconds later, the man's father rushed into the house shouting, "You killed my son!" and tried to grab the gang member's gun from the floor before being subdued by Silva and his partner. The man Silva struggled with, later died from his wounds.

"It happened so fast," Silva said. "Now that I look back at it, I can't believe that it happened."

Silva, a father of two who now works in the narcotics section, was one of 15 police officers honored for bravery at a ceremony in City Council chambers Tuesday. The group included James Mullen, who was left paralyzed by a bullet fired by another gunman.

(Chicago Tribune, October 8, 1997)


Patrolman MANCHA, Ricardo
    On October 8, 1996, Chicago Police Officer Ricardo Mancha was awarded the 1996 Lambert Tree Award. The Lambert Tree Award is the highest award which may be given to a living member of the City of Chicago Police Department.

The incident began when Patrolman Mancha and two other officers, while responding to a gang shooting emergency call, observed a fleeing offender with a gun in his waistband.

When the offender ran into a courtyard, two of the officers exited their squad car to pursue him, and although one of the officers was able to grab him, the offender broke free and ran from the courtyard.

The offender was unable to escape, however, because Patrolman Mancha had alertly driven the squad car into a position to block his exit.

The offender ran into the side of the squad car, after which the officers tackled him and wrestled him to the ground, but the offender, while on the ground, drew his handgun and pointed it, from a distance of only six inches, at Officer Mancha's face.

Mancha quickly knocked the offender's arm away, while simultaneously firing his service revolver at the gunman, striking him in the lower left side.

After some additional resistance. Mancha's swift action resulted in eventually subduing the dangerous offender, who upon later investigation revealed to have served two terms in prison, the most recent in 1992 for shooting a police officer.


Patrolman JACKSON, Talmitch L.
Patrolman ROBBINS, Michael A.
    Patrolman Talmitch L. Jackson and Michael A. Robbins received the Police Department's highest award, the Carter Harrison Medal, for their bravery during an ambush.

It was on Sept. 10, 1994, that the two Grand Crossing District officers responded to a report of shots being fired in an alley near 65th Street and Langley Avenue.

As they drove slowly up the alley with their lights off, a gunman approached the driver's side and without warning, began firing a semiautomatic weapon into the car.

Robbins was shot 11 times, Jackson six.

Robbins, 44, a nine-year police veteran, still carries three bullets in his body from that attack and remains on convalescence leave. Jackson has returned to light duty, but will soon undergo his seventh surgery.

Robbins said of his thoughts just after being shot:

"I was pretty sure this was the end. We were both telling each other to hold on . . . ."

The man accused of shooting them was later apprehended.

(Chicago Tribune, October 11, 1995)


Patrolman VALADEZ, Francis A.
    Police Officer Francis Valadez received the 1994 Lambert Tree Award, the highest award for bravery that can be given a Chicago Police Officer, just a year after he was given a special honorable mention at similar ceremonies in City Hall.

Valadez received his 1993 award after being wounded in an exchange of gunfire that May with two men who tried to steal his car at gunpoint while he was off-duty, dressed in civilian clothing and shopping with his 18-month-old son.

Unsure of their intentions about his son, Valadez told the suspects, who were unaware he was a police officer, that he planned to remove his child from the car before they took it.

But he instead reached into the vehicle for his service revolver and during the subsequent gun battle was wounded in the back while one of the suspects was fatally shot. The second man fled, but he was captured two days later. Valadez's son, who remained inside the car during the incident, was not injured.

That much excitement is more than many police officers or civilians encounter in a lifetime.

But at about 10 Patrolman April 8, 1994 Valadez again faced a dangerous assailant. After he and his partner responded to a call to investigate a man with a gun on the West Side, the suspect ran away with the officers chasing him.

When the fugitive kicked his way into the apartment of an unsuspecting family, Valadez followed and told the half-dozen terrified residents to get into a bathroom.

He then followed the suspect to a rear bedroom where further retreat was blocked by burglar bars on the window. When the man swung around and aimed a semi-automatic handgun at Valadez, the officer opened fire, striking the assailant three times with fatal wounds.

(Chicago Tribune, October 12, 1994)


Patrolman LOPEZ, Paul A.
Patrolman SOSNOWSKI, Joseph R.
    Patrolmen Paul Lopez and Joseph Sosnowski, received the Police Department's highest award, the Carter H. Harrison Medal. They were shot and seriously wounded as they approached a car on a desolate West Side street. Lopez managed to return fire and kill the gunman.

(Chicago Tribune, October 6, 1993)


Patrolman MEYER, Paul W.
    Patrolman Paul Meyer received the Department's top honor when he was presented the Lambert Tree Award by Mayor Richard M. Daley, assisted by Superintendent Matt L. Rodriguez, at a special ceremony held in city council chambers on October 6, 1992.

Chicago Patrol Officer Paul Meyer, who, on March 10, engaged in a shootout with two armed robbers, killing one and injuring the other, during a bookstore robbery attempt on the Near North Side, repeatedly described the two armed assailants as ``gentlemen`` while dryly recounting the mid-morning shootout.

``I`m just glad I`m here to be able to get this award,`` said Meyer, in the only light-hearted comment he could muster.

(Chicago Tribune, October 7, 1992)


Patrolman LOVE, James O.
    The Carter H. Harrison Medal was awarded to Officer James Love, 34, a member of the Wentworth Police District tactical team who was kidnapped by drug dealers, shot and left for dead in a South Side warehouse after he was warned that a contract was put out on his life.

Love was shot on July 6, 1990, in an undercover drug buy in the 3700 block of South LaSalle Street, near the Robert Taylor Homes public housing development where he grew up. He is currently back on the street, in the same district, doing the same job.

After the ceremony, Love recalled his experience.

Love said that on the morning he was kidnapped and shot, he learned that drug dealers wanted him dead. During a narcotics sweep in the Stateway Gardens public housing development, Love was undercover, ready to purchase drugs from a dealer.

He saw a black van pull up in front of him as he stood on the street.

``The sliding door opened and I`m looking at handguns, so I assumed that this was a street robbery, except that one offender called me `21 Jump Street,` `` a street name for undercover officers, Love said.

``He knew I was a cop. So I was disarmed, ordered to lie face down. The next thing I knew, I was taken to a warehouse,`` he said. During the ride, Love said, he tried to make his peace with God and kept thinking he wanted the chance to raise his young son.

He was shot four times, but his bulletproof vest stopped bullets aimed at his heart. He was wounded in the leg and arm.

``I played dead. I could hear footsteps running away. Next thing I knew, I woke up in a pool of blood. I got up and started walking,`` Love said. ``At the time I was shot, another officer was being buried. He`d been struck in the heart, just as I would`ve been if I weren`t wearing a vest.``

He said he`s back in the Wentworth District because he did not want criminals to think they had defeated him.

(Chicago Tribune, October 9, 1991)


Patrolman EGGERS, Jerry R.
    Patrolman Jerry Eggers was awarded the Lambert Tree Award, the Police Department's highest award.

While dispersing a crowd of unruly teenagers in an alley near his North Side home earlier this year, he was stabbed 17 times by one youth. In spite of his wounds, Eggers pursued the person who stabbed him and shot and wounded the assailant when he would not stop. The offender was subsequently charged with attempted murder.

(Chicago Tribune, October 10, 1990)


Checker Band


Patrolman JAGLOWSKI, Gregory
    Youth Officer Gregory Jaglowski received another top honor when he was presented the Carter H. Harrison Award by Mayor Richard M. Daley, assisted by Superintendent LeRoy Martin, at a special ceremony held in city council chambers.

Earlier in the year, Jaglowski received the Department's highest award, the Police Medal, during the Annual Recognition Ceremony.

Jaglowski was honored for his courageous actions displayed September 22, 1988, when he, and his partner Officer Irma Ruiz, confronted a berserk gunman at the entrance of Montifiore School. Moments before, the offender had shot and killed three citizens [at an auto parts store located across the street from the school]. When Jaglowski opened the door, he was wounded in the leg by the crazed gunman, who then ran into the school.

The gunman, confronted by Ruiz, fired another shot, resulting in a fatal wound to her chest. The offender then ran into a vacant room to reload his weapon. Jaglowski rushed back inside to attend to his fallen partner. Suddenly, the offender reappeared and a gun battle ensued. Despite having been wounded in both legs, Jaglowski continued to exchange gunfire and was able to fatally wound the assailant. The officers' courageous actions prevented a potentially much greater tragedy at the school which contained 152 children and 45 staff members.

Jaglowski was the 86th Chicago Police Officer in history to receive either the Carter H. Harrison or Lambert Tree Award.

(Chicago Police Star, Volume 28, No.4 1989)


Patrolman DOLAN, Edward R.
Patrolman JACKOWIAK, David A.
    Patrolmen David A. Jackowiak and Edward R. Dolan received the Lambert Tree award. Mayor Sawyer, Police Superintendent LeRoy Martin presented the Departments' highest honors in ceremonies at City Hall.

Patrolmen Edward Dolan and David Jackowiak received the Lambert Tree award for disarming a West Side man who threatened a crowd with a homemade, black powder hand grenade last year.

Dolan and Jackowiak were honored for disarming and arresting Steve Williams, 23, who last Oct. 15 pulled the pin on a grenade and warned the police officers that he had booby-trapped his body.

After clearing an area in the 300 block of South Cicero Avenue of about 50 onlookers, Dolan kept Williams` attention while Jackowiak slipped behind Williams, grabbed his hand and held the grenade`s safety handle in place. Dolan found the pin and replaced it before the grenade could explode.

(Chicago Tribune, October 12, 1988)




Patrolman WARE, Austin W.
    Patrolman Austin Ware received the Lambert Tree Medal, for stopping a robbery at a South Side fast-food restaurant on 5 DEC 1985. Ware said he was eating in the restaurant when he saw a man going from table to table, leaving people looking frightened.

When the man turned, Ware said, he saw a gun in his belt. When the man went to the cash register, Ware touched his own gun to the man`s back and told him he was a police officer. The man dropped his gun, but spun and grabbed at Ware`s.

``We danced through the restaurant,`` Ware said. During the struggle, which went into the parking lot and back in the restaurant, several shots were fired. When it was over, the assailant was fatally wounded and Ware was shot in the groin. It took Ware four months to recover.

(Chicago Tribune, October 8, 1986)


Sergeant CHERNIK, Robert
    Sergeant Robert Chernik, 11th District, was presented the Carter H. Harrison Award by Harold Washington, assisted by Superintendent Fred Rice, at a special ceremony held in the city council chambers.

Chernik, at the time assigned to the 13th District as a Patrol Specialist, and his partner went to a housing complex in response to a complaint by a resident that an offender had threatened him and then fired a shot at him.

When the two officers arrived at the offender's apartment, the gunman opened the door and upon seeing Chernik, opened fire three times, striking the officer in the left shoulder. Chernik returned fire, fatally wounding the offender.

The bullet that struck Chernik ricocheted off his safety vest near his heart and lodged under the collarbone.

(Chicago Police Star, October - September, 1985)


Patrolman AHERN, James F.
    Police Officer James F. Ahern of the 15th District was honored for the second time this year when he received the Lambert Tree Award.

Ahern was presented with the Department's highest award, the Police Medal, during the ceremonies of Recognition Night earlier in the year.

Ahern received his award for an incident that occurred on February 27, 1984. He was off-duty when he entered a business establishment at 2635 West 79th Street. While engaged in conversation with a friend, he noticed a man enter through the front door, walk past him and enter the rear restroom. The man then left without purchasing anything.

A few minutes later this same individual, now wearing a ski mask and accompanied by another masked man, reentered the premises and walked toward the rear restroom. A third man, armed with a shotgun, followed them in and announced a holdup, holding the weapon to the neck of a patron.

Officer Ahern drew his revolver and fired at this individual, fatally wounding him. At this point, the other two offenders opened fire and shot Ahern in the back and thigh. His friend also was wounded. Although wounded, Ahern was able to return fire, striking another of the offenders in the chest.

The third individual, armed with a .25 caliber automatic weapon, continued to fire. Ahern retrieved his auxiliary weapon and also wounded the third assailant. The two wounded offenders managed to flee the establishment, but were capturedby responding units a short distance away. Ahern was transported to a hospital for treatment.

(Chicago Police Star, November - December, 1984)


Patrolman KORZENIEWSKI, Ronald L.
    Korzeniewski's actions brought about the apprehension of a dangerous ex-convict, who had been on a frenzied crime spree. The offender had abducted a woman, stole a car and then drove to another location where he raped her. He then forced her into the trunk, and robbed a liquor store and took another hostage for a short time.

Korzeniewski spotted the wanted vehicle, after the offender had stolen a railroad security guard's car and gun, and gave chase. The offender fled on foot after he lost control of the car and crashed. Korzeniewski took up the pursuit and was fired upon at least 10 times by the offender. During the exchange of gunfire, the offender was wounded in the abdomen and thigh; and Korzeniewski was wounded in the right hand. The offender was apprehended and the weapon recovered.

(Chicago Police Star, November - December, 1983)


Patrolman MANTIA, Robert
    Police Medal winner Patrolman Robert Mantia received another award when he was presented the Lambert Tree Award in a special ceremony October 5, 1981 in the City Council chambers. Mayor Jane Byne and 1st Deputy Superintendent James O'Grady made the presentations.

Mantia, of the 6th District, is a 14-year veteran of the Department.

On February 5, Mantia and his partner Officer James Doyle were on patrol when they were alerted by a citizen that a man who had robbed him earlier was seen on a bus. The officers took the citizen with them in the squad car and drove t6 the bus which was parked in a loading zone. They positioned their squad to block the path of the bus.

The citizen and Mantia went to the side exit of the bus, while Doyle boarded from the front.

Mantia pointed out the offender to Doyle, who then searched and escorted the man from the bus. Mantia was searching another person believed to be the offender's companion when he heard a gunshot and saw Doyle fall to the floor. The offender was standing over Doyle with a revolver.

The offender then fired several shots at Mantia and fled. Mantia exited the bus and saw the offender had stopped, assumed a kneeling position-firing twice at the officer. Mantia returned the fire, wounding the offender. He then disarmed the offender and handcuffed him.

Mantia then went to assist his wounded partner, who was rushed to a nearby hospital. Despite valiant efforts by medical personnel, Officer Doyle died of his wounds.

(Chicago Police Star, September - October, 1982)


F.D.S. RIORDAN, James J.
Patrolman WASHINGTON, Louis
    Patrolman Louis Washington, 2nd District, was presented the Carter H. Harrison Award by Mayor Jane M. Byrne at a special ceremony held in the city council chambers. The late 1st Deputy Superintendent James J. Riordan was also awarded a posthumous Carter H. Harrison Award at the annual awards ceremony.

Washington was off-duty and driving in the vicinity of Central Park Avenue and Madison Street when he saw a man holding a gun to the head of a woman . The woman broke away from the man's grasp and began to run. The offender fired at the fleeing woman, who fell to the ground apparently wounded. The gunman then began to beat the victim on the head and body with his weapon.

Washington immediately rushed to the scene, announced that he was a police officer, and ordered the offender to drop his gun. The offender responded by turning suddenly and firing at the officer.

Fearing injury to the victim and innocent bystanders, Washington held his fire until it was safe, and then returned the fire, wounding the offender twice.

"The scariest moment was when I had fired all my bullets . and the guy pointed his gun right at me," said Washington. "I held my breath until I heard a click. The gun had misfired."

A fierce struggle then took place in which the offender hit Washington repeatedly over the head causing lacerations and a perforation of his eardrum. Despite these injuries, the officer was able to subdue the offender, disarm him, and place him under arrest.

"I feel wonderful," said 'Washington, upon receiving the award. 'This is the nicest thing that happened to me since my daughter was born 17 years ago ."

Riordan was fatally shot in June 1981 when he attempted to subdue a gunman in a downtown restaurant.

(Chicago Police Star, September - October, 1981)


Sergeant COLEMAN, George
    Sergeant George Coleman, a 24-year Department veteran, received the city's highest commendation for bravery, the Lambert Tree Award in a special ceremony held in the City Council chambers.

While on patrol in the 6th District on May 10, 1979, Coleman responded to a broadcast of an armed robbery by three offenders at 93rd and State Streets.

After observing two men and one woman who matched the suspects' descriptions, Coleman exited his squad car, confronted the three and ordered them to kneel with their hands above their heads.

One of the men and the woman complied with the order, but the third suspect ignored the command and walked away. As Coleman repeated the command, the man pulled a gun, fired and hit the officer in the lower abdomen. Despite his wound, the sergeant returned the fire and wounded both men as they attempted to escape.

Assisting units arrived seconds later and apprehended and arrested all three offenders who were subsequently charged.

(Chicago Police Star, November - December, 1980)


Checker Band


Patrolman JACONETTI, William
Patrolman TRIFILIO, Louis
    Officers Louis Trifilio, 19th District, and William Jaconetti, 13th District, were presented the city's highest commendation for bravery, the Carter H. Harrison Award, at a ceremony held in the City Council chambers.

Trifilio and Jaconetti, in responding to a burglar alarm of a North Milwaukee Avenue jewelry store, on February 16, 1979, were confronted by an offender armed with a .38 caliber revolver. The officers drew their weapons and ordered the man to drop his gun. Instead, the offender fired pointblank at Jaconetti. The bullet penetrated the officer's uniform jacket, but did not strike his body.

Both Jaconetti and Trifllio returned fire, fatally wounding the gunman. The two officers then observed a second armed offender in the store, entered the building and ordered the man to surrender. The man complied and was taken into custody.

Subsequent investigation revealed the two offenders had committed a number of other jewelry store robberies and evidence found on them implicated the offenders in a murder which occurred two days before.

After the incident Jaconetti discovered two bullet holes in his jacket, but no wounds.

(Chicago Police Star, November - December, 1979)


Patrolman MYERS, Miles
Patrolman SCHALLER, Robert
    Patrolmen Miles Myers and Robert Schaller received the Department's top honor when they were presented the Lambert Tree Award by Mayor Richard M. Daley, assisted by Superintendent James E. O'Grady, at a special ceremony held in city council chambers in October of 1978.

In attempting to solve a string of arson incidents, Patrolmen Miles Myers and Robert Schaller confronted and exchanged gunfire with a suspect. Schaller not only was shot in the arm but caught fire. The suspect died in the fire.


Sergeant ANDERSON, Ramon


Patrolman OSBORNE, Robert
    Superintendent James M. Rochford and Mayor Richard J. Daley presented Patrolman Robert J. Osborne, 4th District, the Lambert Tree Award for heroism. Osborne captured three armed robbers.


Patrolman WHITE, Patrick
    Police Officer Patrick White, Special Operations, Area 2, received the city's highest honor, the Carter H. Harrison award, from Mayor Daley and Superintendent Rochford, October 9, 1975 in the city council chambers.

While off-duty and shopping in a store at 2323 West 111th Street, Officer White observed three men enter the store, pull out guns and announce a robbery. Officer White drew his revolver as the first offender took a shot at the manager.

Without regard for his personal safety, White exchanged gun fire with the three robbers, killing one, wounding a second. The third man fled into the parking lot chased by White, who, rather than injure citizens who were between himself and the offender, held his fire. The wounded offender was arrested as he sought medical attention. The third offender and a female accomplice who had remained with their auto, were apprehended later.

(Chicago Police Star, September - October, 1975)


Y.O. COLLINS, James W.
    Mayor Richard J. Daley presented the Lambert Tree Gold Medal to Youth Officer James Collins. This is the second time this year that Y.O. Collins has been honored. On May 13, 1974, Y.O. James Collins and Leonard Pittacora were awarded the Department's two top awards: the Award of Valor and the Police MedaL

Youth Officer James Collins, Area 2, having completed his tour of duty, stopped to make a purchase in a supermarket. As he finished, he observed three armed men enter the store and order the customers to lie on the floor.

Mindful for the safety of the people in the store, Collins made his way to a rear exit and then ran around to the front so he could take cover to stop the offenders as they left.

At the front of the store he spotted Y.O. Leonard Pittacora, Area 4, whom he knew. Pittacora had also seen the men with guns enter the store. The two formed a hasty plan.

Within minutes the first offender came out carrying a large bag. The officers announced their office and ordered him to lie face down on the ground, which he did. As they covered the first man, his two accomplices came through the door. Upon seeing the officers with their guns in hand, one of the men started firing, knocking Collins' hat off his head. Collins and Pittacora returned the fire, fatally wounding him. The third man ran back into the store to attempt an escape through the rear exit.

Collins ran through the parking lot to the rear entrance and as the offender came out another gun battle ensued. Collins wounded the offender in the head and leg and he was captured.

(Chicago Police Star, November, 1974)


LAVIN, William




    A Chicago Police Investigator who confronted a convicted murderer as he attempted to escape from the Criminal Courts Building with two hostages last year has been presented the city's highest award for bravery-the Carter H. Harrison Medal.

The medal was presented by Mayor Richard J. Daley to Inv. Crosset Hamilton, of the Criminal Investigation Division, Homicide/Sex, Area 4, in a ceremony held in the Council Chamber at City Hall on October 5, 1971.

Hamilton, attending court on October 16, 1970, heard the escape alarm sound in the building. He checked courtrooms on the 5th and 6th floors, then proceeded to the 7th floor where other police officers told him that Gene Lewis, sentenced to death for murder, was attempting to escape and that he was armed with a gun smuggled into a courtroom by a woman.

Lewis had shot at a baliff, then took the bailiff's gun and forced him and an Assistant State's Attorney to accompany him.

Hamilton and the other officers checked Judge Saul Epton's courtroom and, through a small opening between the entrance doors, observed Lewis, a revolver in each hand, pointing the weapons at his two hostages.

Inv. Hamilton, who was in plainclothes, and two uniformed officers then worked out a plan of action to try to capture the gunman without harming the hostages. When Lewis left the courtroom and started down the hallway, he saw the uniformed officers and ordered them to drop their guns. The officers refused and began walking backwards towards a freight elevator where Hamilton had hidden himself. As Lewis and the two hostages walked past the elevator, Hamilton emerged, announced his office, and ordered Lewis to surrender. As Lewis turned towards Hamilton, one gun in each hand, Hamilton fired, fatally wounding him. Supt. James B. Conlisk, Jr., commenting on the act, said: "The swift, decisive action taken by Investigator Hamilton is highly commendable and reflects the highest tradition of the Chicago Police Department. Hamilton's presence of mind and prompt action, without question, saved the lives of the two hostages and prevented the escape of a dangerous criminal."

Hamilton, 31, has been a police officer since February, 1962. He was promoted to Investigator in October 1968. He has served at the following locations - l1th (Fillmore) District for a year; 10th (Marquette) District for five years; Task Force Area 4; CID Area 1, Homicide/Sex, and currently, CID, Area 4, Homicide/Sex, where his commanding officer is Lt. Charles Azarello.

During his nine-year career, Hamilton has received 59 Honorable Mentions for his good, aggressive police work; a Commendation and many complimentary letters from grateful citizens. He was the 1971 recipient of the Police Medal, awarded during the annual Police Recognition Ceremony in May.

(Chicago Police Star, October, 1971)


Patrolman FOWLER, Kenneth
    Patrolman Kenneth Fowler, 30, 12th (Monroe St.) District, who wounded an auto thief after being stabbed in the heart in March, 1969, received the Lambert Tree Gold Medal award on October 6, 1970.

Mayor Richard J. Daley presented Fowler with the award, which is the city's highest award for bravery, in a ceremony in the Council Chambers at City Hall.

Patrolman Fowler and two other officers were assigned to the area of 21st Street and Ashland Avenue on March 10, 1969, after a rash of auto thefts and thefts of property from autos were reported to police.

During the course of their tour, the officers observed two men furtively checking autos to see if they were unlocked. The three officers decided that one man would attract less attention than two in approaching the pair to watch their actions. Fowler volunteered to go while his partners situated themselves where they could keep the scene under surveillance.

As Officer Fowler approached the subjects, both stepped into an alley. Seeing the obvious attempt at concealment, Fowler decided to stop and question the men. When he identified himself as a police officer, one of the men drew a knife and stabbed him in the heart.

Although seriously wounded, Fowler managed to draw his revolver, fire and wound his assailant. Until now, Fowler's partners did not realize what had occurred although they had all three men in full view. Upon hearing the shots, they rushed to Fowler's side. One of the officers saw the knife hilt protruding from Fowler's chest and rushed him to the Illinois Research Hospital.

The second officer remained on scene with the two offenders until other police units arrived.

Doctors at the hospital quickly determined that Fowler's wound was of such magnitude that immediate open heart surgery was required. An emergency room doctor held his finger in the hole in Fowler's heart as hospital attendants rushed him to the operating room.

At one time during the two-hour operation, Fowler's heart stopped beating. Doctors, however, were able to restore the heart beat and complete the surgery. Fowler has since recovered and is back on duty.

Fowler was appointed to the Chicago Police Department February 27, 1967. He and his wife, Mildred, have two sons.

In addition to the Lambert Tree Award, Fowler holds 10 Department honorable mentions for outstanding police work and both the Award of Valor, the Department's highest commendation for bravery, and the Blue Star Award, presented for wounds received in the line of duty. The two latter awards were presented in connection with the same incident honored by presentation of the Lambert Tree Award.

(Chicago Police Star, October, 1970)


Checker Band


Patrolman LILLWITZ, Ronald
    The Carter H. Harrison Medal, Chicago's highest award for bravery, was presented to Patrolman Ronald Lillwitz October 7, 1969 during special ceremonies in City Council Chambers. Lillwitz, who was one of the Department's two Police Medal winners for 1968, is assigned to the 7th District.

Lillwitz was awarded the Medal for his actions in 1968 when he fought a gun battle with a man wanted for murder in St. Louis, Illinois. The officer, who was wounded in both arms, killed the man after his partner, Patrolman Henry Peeler, was shot to death.

(Chicago Police Star, November, 1969)


Detective THOMPSON, William
    The Lambert Tree Gold Medal, the City's highest award for heroism, was presented to Detective William Thompson, Area #4-Robbery, on 8 October 1968.

He received the award from Mayor Daley and Supt. ConJisk in ceremonies held in the Council Chambers of City Hall.

Detective Thompson was shopping in the Loop on 22 Decemeber 1967, when four men in a car aroused his suspicions. One of the men remained at the wheel of the car while the others walked down the street. Thompson followed them to a shop where he saw two of the men point guns at the husband and wife owners. Thompson drew his revolver and rushed into the shop. He identified himself as a police officer and ordered the men to drop their guns. One man whirled and pulled the trigger on his gun twice. Faulty ammunition saved Thompson from being injured or killed.

Thompson returned the fire and shot one of the men in the jaw. The second man immediately surrendered. The third man fled. He and the driver of the car escaped.

Earlier this year, Thompson received the Award of Valor and the Police Medal, the Department's second and first highest commendations, respectively, for his heroism in this case, Thompson, 40, is a 15-year veteran of the Force.

(Chicago Police Star, November, 1968)


Detective CHARLES, Roland M. - Star #8880
    Detective Roland M. Charles, Star #8880, Area #4-Robbery, received the coveted Carter H. Harrison Medal October 10, 1967.

Detective Charles, 38, was cited for his actions on January 7, 1966. He and his partner, Detective York Anderson, were driving west on Madison Street when they saw several people running out of the Fohrman Motor Car Agency. About the same time, they heard gunshots.

The Detectives stopped their car and ran into the building with drawn guns. As they passed through the main showroom and approached the office, they saw the body of a man on the floor.

Assuming the gunman was still in the building, the officers split; Charles went through the garage section to approach the office from the rear, Anderson covered the front entrance.

As Charles edged through the garage using the parked cars for cover, he saw a man holding a sawed-off shotgun on two women hostages. The man was later identified as Donald Jackson. When Jackson saw Charles, he fired, narrowly missing the Detective. Charles dashed for cover as Jackson reloaded his shotgun. Charles shouted to him to drop his gun, but Jackson ignored the order and the Detective opened fire and shot him.

Jackson had shot and killed Edward and Sidney Fohrman, owners of the agency, and Albert Sizer, a salesman. He had a police record as a robbery and auto thief and had been paroled from Pontiac Penitentiary in 1964.

(Chicago Police Star, November, 1967)


Patrolman HETTINGER, Gary R.
    Patrolman Gary R. Hettinger of the 17th District (Albany Park) was awarded Chicago's highest award for bravery, the Lambert Tree Medal.

Hettinger, a recipient of the Award of Valor, was presented the Lambert Tree Medal on 11 October for his bravery during a robbery on 21 December 1965, when he engaged in a gun battle with two armed robbers in a lounge.

Officer Hettinger, while off duty, had entered a lounge with his fiancee when two holdup men armed with revolvers entered and announced a holdup. The robbers ordered the patrons to put their money and valuables on the bar. Hettinger placed his wallet on the bar and advised his fiancee to do the same. One of the robbers held the patrons at gunpoint while the other scooped up money and other valuables.

Because the lounge was small and crowded with patrons, Officer Hettinger waited for an opportunity to take action with minimum danger to other patrons.

As the robbers were about to leave through a rear entrance, Hettinger saw his chance. He drew his gun, announced he was a police officer, and ordered the men to drop their guns. One of them fired at Hettinger but missed. Hettinger returned the fire, fatally wounding one. The second robber continued to fire, and Hettinger returned it until both men were out of bullets. The officer then grabbed the man and the two grappled; Hettinger wrestled the robber to the floor and held him until additional officers arrived on the scene.

Both men had records for robbery, burglary and auto theft. Further investigation revealed the two men had been wanted for five other robberies. The surviving holdup man was sentenced to 10 to 15 years in the pentitentiary.

(Chicago Police Star, November, 1966)


Detective EBERT, Emmett F.
    Detective Emmet Ebert, Intelligence Division, received Chicago's highest award for bravery-the Carter H. Harrison Medal.

Detective Ebert, holder of the Police Department's two highest commendations, the Police Medal and the Award of Valor, was cited for his bravery during a robbery on 29 December 1964.

Ebert was the first man at the scene of the robbery of a drugstore. As he was about to enter the store, one robber tried to push past him. Ebert drew his pistol, announced he was a police officer, and ordered him and his two accomplices to surrender. Instead, the man lunged for Ebert's gun.

At the same time, a second robber pointed his pistol at Ebert. As Ebert tried to pull the first man in front of him for protection, the second fired but missed.

Moments later, Ebert wrested his gun hand free, shot and fatally wounded the would-be escapee.

The second robber dashed out and Ebert pursued him. District beat officers just arriving captured the offender. The third robber escaped but was recaptured soon afterward.

(Chicago Police Star, November, 1965)


Detective SPOONER, Howard A. - Star #6169
    Detective Howard A. Spooner, Star #6169, Area #4-Burglary, received the coveted Lambert Tree Medal.

Detective Spooner, who also holds the Superintendent's Police Medal and the Award of Valor, was again cited for his bravery on 2 March 1963. That evening, while off-duty, he saw a man inside a liquor store, one hand full of currency and the other holding a sawed-off shotgun, menacing the proprietor of the store, a clerk and a porter. Without regard for his own safety, Spooner drew his revolver, burst into the store and shouted, "I'm a police officer. Drop your gun." The robber whirled around, pointed his gun at Spooner and pulled the trigger; but the gun misfired.

Spooner fired three shots at the man, striking him in the left arm, the abdomen and the right thigh. The robber was subsequently implicated in several other holdups, and was tried and convicted on three charges of armed robbery.

(Chicago Police Star, November, 1964)


Patrolman JOSEPH, Serges S.
    On Tuesday, 8 October, 1963, Patrolman Serges Joseph was called to the City Council chambers. There, Mayor Richard J . Daley, William Cahill, President of the Civil Service Commission, and Acting Superintendent John D. Madl awarded him the Carter H. Harrison Award.

Joseph was chosen because of his outstanding bravery as a member of the task force undercover unit (TUF). Acting as a "decoy" in many operations, Sam often ignored danger and possible harm, and was responsible for the arrest and conviction of 46 strong-arm robbers. On 27 October 1962, while serving as the decoy, he was attacked by a man with a knife. As the attacker snatched at his wallet, he was slashed with the knife, cutting Joseph's coat from neck to waist. With swiftness and presence of mind, Joseph turned on his assailant and, together with his cover officers, subdued and arrested the robber. Later the same night, Joseph and his fellow officers again went out on their TUF operation, succeeding in capturing two would-be assailants.

(Chicago Police Star, October 25, 1963)


Patrolman GRENTZNER, John C.
    In ceremonies in the City Council chambers, Mayor Daley presented Patrolman Grentzner with the Lambert Tree Gold Medal.

On 14 July 1961, while driving and off duty, John Grentzner encountered squad cars converging on the scene of a shooting. An officer had already been shot at from a window by a berserk man; and a woman standing in a basement stairway was screaming: "My husband is in there with a gun; there is a woman and two children with him!" Running to the back of the building, Grentzner and three other officers entered the back door of the apartment at whose front window a man with a gun was yelling and shooting. At Grentzner's announcement: "Police, drop your gun!" the man spun around and aimed at the officer. Grentzner shot him in the arm; but, shifting his gun into the other hand, the man fired directly at the policeman. Grentzner then shot again and seriously wounded the assailant. (Unknown to Ptlmn. Grentzner and to all the other officers, the woman and children had escaped from the gunman.)

(Chicago Police Newsletter, November 2, 1962)


Patrolman HANSEN, Donald E.
    In ceremonies in the City Council's Chambers, Mayor Richard J. Daley presented the Carter H. Harrison Gold Medal for 1960 to Patrolman Hansen, and commended him for his heroic action.

Patrolman Hansen, on 21 February 1960 captured 5 armed felons in the act of robbing a taxicab driver. Covering the two bandits with his gun, he gained possession of their guns, handcuffed the two and then proceeded to arrest three confederates in another car parked in the rear of the cab.

(Chicago Police Newsletter, November 3, 1961)


Checker Band


Patrolman LYONS, Harry E.
    Officer Harry E. Lyons of Central District received the Lambert Tree Gold Medal as the outstanding hero of the police department in 1959.

The medal was presented by Mayor Richard J. Daley at annual hero award ceremonies in the City Council Chambers on Thursday, 13 October 1959.

Lyons received his medal for his courageous action on April 11, 1959 when he shot and killed an armed hold-up man in a robbery of the Air Coach Reservation office at 7 West Washington Street in the Loop.

Lyons and his partner, Patrolman John Scaglione on motorized patrol, responded to a robbery in progress call covered by his partner outside, Lyons entered with drawn pistol. When one of the two men behind the counter aimed his gun at him and it misfired, Lyons shot the robber four times.

After the shooting Lyons found Patrolman William McCann, of the Brighton Park District, detailed to the ticket office, and a woman clerk, bound on the floor behind the counter. Patrolman McCann had been disarmed through a ruse when one of the robbers posing as a drunk entered the store.

(Chicago Police Newsletter, November, 1960)


Patrolman NASH, Ronald
    Patrolman Ronald Nash received the Department's top honor when he was presented the Carter H. Harrison Award by Mayor Richard M. Daley, assisted by Commissioner Timothy J. O'Connor, at a special ceremony held in city council chambers.

Patrolman Nash exchanged gunfire with two burglary suspects.


DeVITT, Robert
    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal


    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal


KERR, Clarence
    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal


Patrolman HASTINGS, Jack E.
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal


    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal


Detective FITZGERALD, Michael C.
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal

Patrolman Michael C. Fitzgerald, 17th District - Albany Park, August 16, 1952, Dived into the north branch of the Chicago River at Irving Park Road to rescue a 60 year-old woman while his partners held flashlights. The woman, Sara Cassgrove, and amnesia victim had been reported missing by her sister. Officer Fitzgerald was promoted to Detective just prior to receiving this award.

(Chicago Daily Tribune, July 30, 1953)


    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal


SCOTT, John J.
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal


Checker Band


Patrolman COMISKEY, Anthony T.
    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal

Patrolman Anthoney T. Comiskey, Motorcycle Division, November 18, 1947, was working on the desk inside the motorcycle division when two boys ran in and reported a robbery in progress at 1301 South Michigan Avenue. Officer Comiskey rushed to the scene alone. Upon arrival he entered the restaurant and observed two gunmen who opened fire on him. A gunfight ensued in which Officer Comiskey returned fire. Officer Comiskey shot and killed one offender who fell to the floor. The second, while hiding behind a phone booth continued firing. Officer Comiskey continued to return fire emptying his revolver. When the gunmen noticed Officer Comiskey was out of ammunition, he rush him and slipped on the floor. Officer Comiskey tackled him and was able to disarm the man while the man pleaded for his life. Suddenly, Officer Comiskey was struck on the head from behind. A third offender had come from the rear of the restaurant where he had cornered the holdup victims. Officer Comiskey lost consciousness briefly and recovered in time to stuggle with the two men. A fourth offender, the lookout, then entered the resteraunt to aid his buddies. Officer Comiskey continued to struggle with the three men as the fight moved outside. Once outside the three men fled the scene. One was later captured while the other two were never apprehended.

After the men fled the scene, Officer Comiskey walked himself to St. Luke's Hospital while blood was streaming from his head with the two guns he had recovered. While enroute he was stopped by a squd who had though he was a stickup man. Officer Comiskey was also awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal in 1942.

(Chicago Daily Tribune, July 3, 1950)


    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal

Patrolman Steven Barrett, Motorcycle Division, November 4, 1916, while off duty witnessed a robbery in progress at 713 East 79th Street. Officer Barrett managed to corner two gunmen and capture them as they attempted to rob a store without a single shot being fired.


O'HARA, Raymond T.
    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal


McGUIRE, Charles
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal


    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal


COMISKEY, Anthony T.
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal


WILLS, John A.
    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal


CURTIN, Michael
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal


Checker Band


    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal


    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal


WARD, William F.
    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal


FREID, John J.
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal


McDOWELL, Samuel
    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal


RICHARDS, Russell L.
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal


    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal


    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal


HANUS, Edward
    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal


MEYER, Herman
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal


Checker Band


    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal


BARRY, Andrew
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal


DRURY, William
    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal


McCARTHY, Benjamin
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal


CAL, Demitry
    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal


    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal


    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal


    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal


McNAUGHTON, William F.
    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal


O'DELL, Horace C.
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal


Checker Band


    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal


Patrolman CARLISLE, Alumus W.
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal


Patrolman SLOIER, Christian
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal

Patrolman Christian Sloier, First Deputy's Office, June 11, 1915, at 12:30 a.m., was a passenger on a street car traveling westbound on Grand Avenue, bound for his home at 4014 West Potomac Avenue, where his wife and three children awaited his arrival. As the street car approached Ashland Avenue, Officer Sloier observed an auto driving at a high rate of speed careen around a corner and go down an alley. Officer Sloier noted that there was no license plate on the car and jumped off the street car to investigate. Following the sound of the car's engine he tracked the sound to the rear of 1625 North Grand Avenue. In the darkness he observed the outline of three men, but the men had seen him first. Two of the men ran while the third reached for a revolver. Officer Sloier began to grapple with the man and was able to overpower him and gain control of the revolver. Bringing the but end of the gun down, Officer Sloier, struck the man over the head with the gun. The man was knocked unconscious. Officer Sloier then fired two shots into the air. The sound attracted the attention of Patrolman J. T. Grady of the West Chicago Avenue Station who responded and assisted in the arrest of the man. The prisoner was later identified as, Harry O'Neill, a man with a long record whom had been recently released from the penitentiary in Pontiac, IL. The other two men were also identified as William O'Halloran and Otto Meyers. All three men stood trial and were later found guilty and sentenced to indeterminate terms ranging from one year to life in the penitentiary.

After Officer Sloier arrested O'Neill he found that the automobile was owned by a Dr. R. C. Reimecke of 701 South Kedzie Avenue. The course of events began on June 10, 1915 when O'Neill and the two other men went to Dr. Reimecke's home. He had advertised his is automobile for sale, and these men used the "ad" as a ruse to steal the car and rob the doctor. They asked for a test drive, and at 40th and Milwaukee Avenue's they took the wheel away from the doctor. O'Neill then put a revolver to Dr. Remecke's head and told him to keep his mouth shut. At 48th and Fullerton Avenues they took $40 from him and threw him out of the car. The men then went on to hold up four drug stores on the West and North Sides and got about $300 in proceeds. Just a few days before this incident the men played the same trick on a man named C. E. Maloney, of 1104 North LaSalle Street. They took his car and beat him up.

Patrolman Christian Sloier was a 12-year veteran of the Department at the time of the incident, of which the last 10 years he was assigned to the First Deputy's Office. He is of Scandinavian decent and his wife Irish.

(Chicago Daily Tribune, April 16, 1916)


Patrolman NEWHEUS, George - Star #1004
    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal

Patrolman George Newhaus, Fifth Precinct, July 2, 1911, at 3:15 a.m., while patroling his post, observed, three suspicious looking men near Thirty-ninth street and Rhodes avenue, and followed them. Securing the assistance of the owner of an automobile, he was driven to Thirty-eighth street and Indiana avenue, where he got out of the machine and walked up in front of the three men and asked to know their bnsiness on the street at that hour. One of the men, Steve Kelliher, on parole from the penitentiary for his last job of shooting Policeman Miller, drew a gun and fired at Newhaus, who returned the fire, neither of which shots took effect. The three men then ran, followed by Newhans exchanging shots, when one of them, James Hines, was captured in a yard. Turning Hines over to some citizens, Officer Newhans continued in pursuit of the others, overtaking them a block and a half away, where they were captured with the assistance of several other officers who had been attracted by the shooting. The third man proved to be William Weber. They are three of the most desperate criminals in the country, and in their possession was found the proceeds of several burglaries. They were tried, convicted and sentenced to from one to twenty years each in the penitentiary.

(Report of the General Superintendent of Police, 1912)


Patrolman DEVANEY, John - Star #2949
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal

Patrolman Joseph Devaney, Twenty-seventh Precinct, on November 22, 1910, attempted to arrest two men at Randolph and Peoria streets. One of the men drew a gun and opened fire on the officer, one bullet striking him in the left cheek and one in the neck. Although severely and painfully wounded, Devaney regained his feet and gave chase for four blocks, firing as he went, finally falling exhausted from loss of blood.

(Report of the General Superintendent of Police, 1912)


Checker Band


Patrolman DECKER, Henry G. - Star #2753
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal

Patrolman Henry G. Decker, Twenty-sixth Precinct, on December 31, 1909, while patroling his post was informed that the saloon at 3934 West 16th street was being robbed. Hastening to the scene he entered the front. door and was instantly fired upon by two bandits who were robbing the proprietor and eight customers. Officer Decker returned the fire, severely wounding one of the bandits, known as Art Arteson, an ex-convict. The other robber, Marion C. Hedgepeth, also an ex-convict, escaped through a side door, firing as he ran. Officer Decker armed one of the robbers victims with Arteson's gun and together they pursued Hedgepeth to 15th street and commanded him to halt. His reply was several shots. Both pursuers then returned the fire and Hedgepeth fell dead. Arteson was sentenced to imprisonment for life, where he died of his wound.

(Report of the General Superintendent of Police, 1912)


Patrolman BUSSIAN, Henry L. - Star #2285
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal

Patrolman Henry L. Bussian, Twenty-first Precinct, on June 17, 1907, was summoned to a house at 98 West 13th street, where employees of the Gas Company were making some repairs. Escaping gas had filled the basement where Frank Steichler and Martin McLaughlin were working, and when Officer Bussian arrived Steichler had just been rescued unconscious and was thought to be dead. McLaughlin was still in the basement and his fellow workmen said there was no hope of rescuing him alive. Officer Bussian proceeded to the rear, and placing some wet cloths over his mouth and nose, crawled on his hand and knees to where he had been told McLaughlin could be found. Finding the supposed lifeless body he carried it into the open and rushed both victims to the hospital, where, after some difficulty, they were revived.

(Report of the General Superintendent of Police, 1912)


Patrolman McGUIRK, Joseph M.
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal

Patrolman Joseph M. McGuirk, Second Precinct, on April 8th, 1904, at 2 o'clock A. M. heard a noise in the barber shop at 45 East Polk Street and upon investigation found that the side door had been forced open. Without cal1ing for assistance he entered the dark shop, found a man concealed there, and after a fierce struggle arrested him. The man proved to be an oldtime thief.

(Report of the General Superintendent of Police, 1905)


Patrolman BLAUL, William V.
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal

Patrolman William V. Blaul, Forty-first Precinct, on November 21st, 1903, in company with Officer John Quinn, learned that Gustave Marx, wanted in the car barn robbery and murder case at Sixty-first and State streets, was in a saloon at Addison avenue and Robey street. Up0l! their arrival at the place Officer Quinn entered at the front door and Officer Blaul by the side door. Marx shot and killed Officer Quinn and attempted to shoot Officer Blaul, but his revolver failed to work. Marx was shot twice by Blaul, was partially disabled and, after a desperate struggle, arrested.

(Report of the General Superintendent of Police, 1905)


Patrolman MENGERSEN, George
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal

Patrolman George Mengersen; Twenty-seventh Precinct. On October 23d, 1902, noted two suspicious characters, was fired upon at a distance of four feet and severely wounded by one, an ex-convict, whereupon the officer, notwithstanding the wound and loss of blood, drew his own revolver, pursued his assailant, firing as he ran, his assailant returning the fire, through alleys, back yards and over fences until he succeeded in wounding and arresting the criminal. During the chase the prisoner was wounded twice, but not seriously; twelve, shots were exchanged, the officer stopping once to reload his revolver.

(Report of the General Superintendent of Police, 1905)


Patrolman McNAMARA, Frank J.
    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal

Frank J. McNamara, patrolman, 11th precinct. On the morning of May 10th, 1900, Officer McNamara's attention was called to two colored men who were in the act of stealing a bicycle from 1097 East Fifty-ninth street. The officer approached them and as he did so they both drew their revolvers and commenced firing at the officer. They then retreated into a back yard where they fortified themselves behind a high board fence. The officer followed them and all emptied their revolvers, when the colored men broke loose and ran. The officer overtook one of them and as he did so the colored man fought with the officer, catching hold of his revolver and trying to use his own on the officer, when the other colored man returned and attempted to shoot the officer.

Officer McNamara had to release his hold on the colored man's gun to get possession of his own gun when both colored men broke loose and ran again. They separated at this time. The officer reloaded his revolver as he ran and succeeded in overtaking one of them at Sixtieth street and Prairie avenue. He disarmed him and turned him over to some citizens to hold while he followed the other, whom he located in a baspment on Prairie avenue, between Fifty-ninth and Sixtieth streets. The officer entered the dark baspment, knowing thp colored man was armed, yet he forced him to throw down his gun and made him a prisoner, and then he took both colored men to the station.

After being locked up they were recognized as Alsie and James Demett, two brothers from Des Moines, Ia., one of them having been arrested at that place for seriously assaulting and dangerously wounding a jailer of that city, where he was confined and had escaped, being under sentence for burglary at the time of escape; and the other was also wanted for burglary. They were both returned to that city.

Mr. Mills, in conclusion, said:

"The great world's heart admires and loves the hero who sinks himself in another's cause and unselfishly offers his life to save that of friend, or stranger, or to protect the welfare of the people. Snch a man's nohility of charactpr and dero entitles him in the just estimation of mankind to the highest tribute of respect and honor, of which a medal of gold is only a symbol"

(Report of the General Superintendent of Police, 1902)


Checker Band


Patrolman KEEFE, James
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal

Police Captain Wheeler reported as follows: James Keefe, patrolman, 21st precinct. "On January 13th, 1899, while we were working on the murder of Officer E. J. WaIner of the 23rd precinct, I confiscated a letter sent to George Simpson, one of the suspects in the case. The letter was mailed at Watseka, Ill., and signed by Sam Rich. Not knowing that he was one of the party wanted, I called Officer James Keefe of this station, and wrote a decoy letter and told Keefe to go to Watseka and put the letter in the post office, and when he came for it to arrest him and bring him to me.

"When Officer Keefe got to Watseka he found that the man's name was Sam Jones, and that he lived three miles out in the county with a bachelor uncle. Officer Keefe got the town marshal and his assistant and went to the house at 11 o'clock at night, and when the marshal tried to get in the uncle said, 'he would kill the first man that came into the place.' Both marshals then left Keefe alone and he (Keefe) forced the door open. There he saw a man with a shotgun pointed at him, also a young man, and jumping behind the latter, Officer Keefe drew his revolver and placed the muzzle of it against the young man's side, at the same time telling the man with the gun that if he did not lower it he would kill the young fellow. During this time Officer Keefe kept the young man betwoon himself and the man who had then leveled on him. He finally' got the fellow out and returned to the city early in the morning on the 14th of January. The fellow proved to be the right one and made a full confession of the whole matter.

"It was a very meritorious act, from the fact that Officer Keefe, when deserted by the officers of the law of that community, fearlessly stuck to his post) virtually at the jaws of death, and accomplished his purpose by landing in Chicago one of the coolest and most determined young vandals, who is now serving sentence in Joliet for murder and robbery."

(Report of the General Superintendent of Police, 1902)


Patrolman CAREY, Daniel
    Awarded the Lambert Tree Medal

Daniel Carey, Patrolman, 19th precinct. About 9:45 p.m., February 27th, 1898, Frank and Thomas Clark (brothers) and Patrick McGuire, all of 4119 Wentworth avenue, met Officer Patrick Fenton at Forty-fifth and Wentworth avenue and reported to him that Michael Clark (a brother of Frank and Thomas), boarding with a Mrs. E. M. Cleary, at 413 West Forty-second street, was demented and ran McGuire out of the house at the point of a revolver and they were afraid that he would kill himself and the landlady.

Officer Fenton advised them to report the matter at his station. They started to go to his station but instead went to the Rev. Father Kelly's, Forty-fift.h and Atlantic streets. On their way back they met Officer Fenton at Forty-third and Wentworth avenue. He asked them if they had reported the case to his station and they said they had not. Thomas Clark then boarded a street car and went to the station. About that time Officer Daniel Carey came along and both officers (Fenton and Carey) concluded to go and investigate. On arriving at the house they went to the second floor and Frank Clark pointed out the room occupied by Michael. Officer Fenton pushed the door open when a shot was fired from within and Officer Fenton staggered back to the opposite side of the room and fell to the floor dead. The bullet (41 calibre) entered his left breast and penetrated the heart. Clark quickly closed the door. Officer Carey sprang against the door, breaking it from the hinges, entered the room and grappled with clark who fired a shot, the bullet taking effect in Officer Carey's left side at the eighth rib. Ater being shot the officer, who had not time to draw his revolver, wrenched the gun from Clark's hand and struggled with him until rendered helpless from weakness and loss of blood. Clark (the insane man) jumped out of the second story window to the ground and ran south in the alley. He was arrested at Forty-fifth and Atlantic streets by Officers M. Costello and D. Keating.

(Report of the General Superintendent of Police, 1902)


Lieutenant HOWARD, Thomas J.
    Awarded the Carter H. Harrison Medal

Thomas J. Howard, Lieutenant,2ith precinct. On the afternoon of October 30th, 1897, about 4 o'clock, Sergeant Thomas J. Howard (since promoted to Lieutenant) was detailed at the 27th precinct. While passing the corner of Center avenue and Gurley street, he saw William alias "Skippy" Rohan and "Sport" Hefferon, going east on Gurley strect. At that time Rohan, who is a notorious highway robber and murderer, was wanted in St. Louis, Mo., for the murder of a saloon-keeper named Capper Rumford, 1835 Rurton street, June 16th, 1897, whom he was holding up, and the saloon-keeper resisted him and Hohan shot and killed him, For some time Sergeant Howard had heen looking for him because he knew he was in Chicago, as he had met him on Archer avenue, but did not at that time know he was wanted in St. Louis. However, when he saw Rohan passing on this occasion the sergeant, accompanied by Officers O'Malley and McSwiggen of the 27th precinct, made an attempt to arrest him. Howard ran forward and drew a pistol and fired' three shots at Rohan. On the run after Rohan the sergeant tripped over a piece of wire and fell, giving the murderer' a chance to get away about fifty feet. He turned into an alley which runs into May street and went through a broken fence in rear of premises. The sergeant ordered Officer O'Malley to remain in the rear, while' he went to the front of the house. Officer O'Malley, mistaking the order he got to remain in the rear, followed the sergeant around to the front, giving Rohan a chance to get out of the yard into the alley the same way that he entered it. He then ran through a passageway between the two houses which led him to Harrison street. The sergeant followed. him up on Harrison street to Center avenue, where he (Rohan) turned around and fired one shot at him. At that time a Harrison street car was passing west which Rohan boarded on the front platform, and while on the car he reloaded his pistol. The sergeant followed after and hollered at the car to stop, but no one noticed him till the car got to Throop street, where Rohan jumped off and ran through the alley to Congress street. The sergeant ran through a parallel alley and headed him off on Congress street.

Rohan ran diagonally across to Throop street, and there he fired two or three shots at the sergeant, and also fired one shot at a citizen who attempted to stop him. He then rim into the alley north of Congress street and kept going east to where there was a large garbage box, and stationed himself at the east side of it and kept the sergeant covered with his pistol. Notwithstanding the difficulty and danger of the proceeding the sergeant made a run for the box and so got to the other side of it. before Rohan had time to shoot. After standing in this position five or six minutes Rohan broke away and ran through an open barn door, which was alongside of the garbage box. The sergeant had only two bullets left in his pistol, and not being able to get a good aim at Rohan was afraid to lose his ammunition and consequently did not fire.

Rohan ran as far as Congress street where he got into a milk wagon which Was standing there. He compelled the driver of the milk wagon to get out, and he took possession of the lines. At that time the sergeant got up to the wagon when Rohan fired three shots at him, and then started to drive west, and while going in that direction the sergeant got up alongside of the wagon and fired two shots at Rohan one of which took effect in the bottom of the abdomen.

Rohan continued to drive as far as Laflin street. An express wagon was pressed into service hy the sergeant and the chase kept up to Laflin and Van Buren streets. During this time Rohan was reloading his pistol, and when he came to Aberdeen street and Jackson boulevard the sergeant caught up to him aud jumped into the milk wagon. He pointed his pistol at Rohan's head and placed him under arrest. The sergeant had fired his last shot and his pistol was useless as a firearm. Rohan was taken to the Desplaines street station from where he was conveyed to the County Hospital. His wound was considered fatal, but he managed to recover, and was finally taken to St. Louis by Sergeant Howard, where he stood trial and was sentenced to five years in the Missouri State Penitentiary for burglarizing the residence of Joseph S. Rhomherg, 2407 Elliott avenue, St. Louis, Mo. The murder case against him fell through, as the principal witness died before the case came up.

(Report of the General Superintendent of Police, 1902)


Checker Band


O'DELL, Issac


STEELE, Solomon C.
    Patrolman Steele, while on post, saw a team of horses, attached to a carriage occupied by two ladies, while passing over the viaduct on West Adams Street near the bridge took fright at the sudden escape of steam from a locomotive on the railroad tracks beneath. The horses plunged wildly, became unmanageable, and in suddenly turning broke a wheel. The ladies in the vehicle were helpless, and the animals galloped along the viaduct down grade towards Canal Street. Officer Steele, who was stationed at the crossing, with rare intrepidity and presence of mind, seized the headgear of one of the horses, and though dragged a considerable distance brought them to a stop, therby undoubtedly saving the ladies from serious injury and perhaps death.

(Report of the General Superintendent of Police, 1888)


Patrolman BRENNAN, James
    Patrolman Brennan, while on post, saw a team of horses, uncontrolled by the driver, rushing furiously along West Lake Street towards the Chicago River while the bridge was swung open for vessels to pass. With a remarkable combination of nerve, courage and judgment, Brennan sprang the maddened animals' bits and was dragged to the very edge of the draw when, by almost superhuman effort, he checked and pulled the horses across the street in such close proximity to the river that portions of the shattered vehicle fell into the water.

(Report of the General Superintendent of Police, 1887)



Checker Band
Site Established 2008                      Copyright ©                       All Rights Reserved is not Developed or Approved by the Chicago Police Department.