PARK DISTRICT POLICE DEPARTMENTS
Checker Band

Here you will find a timeline featuring some of the key events, innovations, and leaders which had a major impact on the Chicago Police Department's evolution. Please note that some names and events may not be listed; however, we are confident that important pieces of the Department's history have been included, and that the subjects and individuals listed are of significant importance.


PAGE INDEX

|  Chicago Park District   |  Lincoln Park District   |  North Shore Park District  |

|  South Park District   |  West Park District  |





Chicago Park District Police Department

Chicago Park District Police Department - Squad Car

Chicago Park District Police Department Squad Car (circa 1950)


The Chicago Park District Police Department, in the City of Chicago, was disbanded on December 31, 1957. On January 1, 1958, the remaining officers were transferred to the Chicago Police Department through an intergovernmental agreement. Fallen officers of the Chicago Park District Police Department are currently honored on the memorial wall of the Chicago Police Department as Chicago Police Officers. Their stars are displayed in the Honored Star Case located in the lobby of the Chicago Police Department at 3510 South Michigan Avenue.

BACK TO TOP

Lincoln Park District Police Department

Lincoln Park District Police Department - Squad Car

Officers Pose Next to a Linoln Park District Police Department Squad Car (circa 1924)


The Lincoln Park Police Department, in the City of Chicago, was disbanded on April 30, 1934. On May 1, 1934, the remaining officers were transferred to the Chicago Park District Police Department which was organized on the same date. Three park district police departments, Lincoln, West, and South were consolodated into the Chicago Park District Police Department. Fallen officers of the Lincoln Park Police Department are currently honored on the memorial wall of the Chicago Police Department as Chicago Police Officers. Their stars are displayed in the Honored Star Case located in the lobby of the Chicago Police Department at 3510 South Michigan Avenue.

BACK TO TOP

North Shore Park District Police Department

The North Shore Park District, one of 22 independent park districts was consolidated into the Chicago Park District in 1934. Unlike most of these park boards, the North Shore District, formed in 1900, was at first interested only in enhancing the area through boulevard improvements along Sheridan Road, Pratt Boulevard, and Ashland Avenue. By 1905, however, public pressure had prompted the district to consider park development. The district spent several years mulling its options. Finally, in 1909, at the urging of the Rogers Park Woman's Club, the North Shore District determined to concentrate its resources on purchasing land for a single beachfront park and boating basin known as North Shore Park. Shortly thereafter, noted landscape architect and engineer O.C. Simonds developed plans for a pier at the site, but these were never realized. By 1917, the North Shore District had acquired more than nine acres of lakeshore property. A small fieldhouse, built in 1923, soon provided game and club rooms. Playfields were flooded for ice skating in winter; in 1929, the local American Legion post erected a shelter house for skaters. Several years after the Chicago Park District took over in 1934, local residents asked that North Shore Park be renamed. The park district agreed, and held a contest to choose a new name. Neighborhood residents favored the name Loyola Park, for nearby Loyola University. The Jesuits began to develop this important Rogers Park institution in 1906, when they purchased a 20-acre site between Devon and Loyola Avenues. During the 1930s, the university raised its neighborhood profile substantially by constructing a number of dramatic Art Deco buildings, including the Madonna della Strada Chapel. Around 1950, the Chicago Park District more than doubled the size of Loyola Park and built a new fieldhouse with an adjacent grandstand. Another half-acre was added in 1971, bringing the size of Loyola Park to more than 21.5 acres.

BACK TO TOP

South Park District Police Department

South Park District Police Department - Squad Car

Officers Pose in Front of a South Park District Police Department Squad Car (circa 1915)


The South Park Police Department, in the City of Chicago, was disbanded on April 30, 1934. On May 1, 1934, the remaining officers were transferred to the Chicago Park District Police Department which was organized on the same date. Three park district police departments, Lincoln, West, and South were consolodated into the Chicago Park District Police Department. Fallen officers of the South Park Police Department are currently honored on the memorial wall of the Chicago Police Department as Chicago Police Officers. Their stars are displayed in the Honored Star Case located in the lobby of the Chicago Police Department at 3510 South Michigan Avenue.

BACK TO TOP

West Park District Police Department

The West Park Police Department, in the City of Chicago, was disbanded on April 30, 1934. On May 1, 1934, the remaining officers were transferred to the Chicago Park District Police Department which was organized on the same date. Four park district police departments, Irving, Lincoln, West, and South were consolodated into the Chicago Park District Police Department. Fallen officers of the West Park Police Department are currently honored on the memorial wall of the Chicago Police Department as Chicago Police Officers. Their stars are displayed in the Honored Star Case located in the lobby of the Chicago Police Department at 3510 South Michigan Avenue.

BACK TO TOP

 

Checker Band
Site Established 2008                      Copyright © ChicagoCop.com                       All Rights Reserved
ChicagoCop.com is not Developed or Approved by the Chicago Police Department.