Death Classification: Line of Duty Death

Agency: Chicago Police Department

Served: 13 years, 5 months, 24 days

Unit of Assignment / Detail: 1st District - Central

District of Incident (Present Day): 001 - Central

Location of Occurrence: 

Cause of Death: Gunfire - Enemy

Age at Time of Death: 38


Date of Birth: 14 May 1928

Date of Appointment: 27 Mar 1953

Date of Incident: 001 - Central

End of Watch: 19 Sep 1966

Date of Interment: 23 Sep 1966


Interment Details

 Cemetery: St. Mary Catholic Cemetery - Evergreen Park, Illinois
 Grave Location: Lot X278 B, Block --, Section A
 Interment Disposition: Burial


Memorial Details

Superintendent’s Honored Star Case: Panel # D-4

Gold Star Families Memorial Wall: Panel # 18

Illinois Police Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 3, Line 14

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 43-E: 7

Officer Down Memorial Page: Listed



 Military Service: No Military Record Found


Incident & Biographic Details

Detective Daniel Joseph Quinnan, Jr., Star #7899, aged 38 years, was a 13 year, 5 month, 24 day veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the 1st District – Central Vice Unit.

On September 19, 1966, at 9:45 p.m., Detective Quinnan, while working as a vice detective in plain clothes, interrupted an armed robbery at the Dinerama Lounge located at 646 South Wabash Avenue. Prior to the officer’s arrival, Paul E. Thedford, age 29, had been in the lounge approximately an hour and a half. Thedford had consumed seven whiskey sours and conversed with the bartender, Michael Albanese. Without warning Thedford produced a gun and announced a robbery to the bartender and then hid his gun under the bar. He ordered Albanese to give him all the money in the cash register. Albanese complied, placing $150.00 in a paper bag and handed it to Thedford. Thedford then made his way down the bar towards the exit and stopped by a patron, ordering him to empty his pockets. The patron complied and placed $65.00 into the paper bag. Thedford turned to exit and just as he attempted to leave, Detective Quinnan entered thru the revolving door. He was there to conduct a routine check of the lounge. Detective Quinnan walked in and began to talk with Thedford when the he shot the officer in the chest before he had an opportunity to draw his weapon. Thedford stepped over Detective Quinnan’s body and fled the scene making good his escape. Detective Quinnan was transported to Presbyterian St. Lukes Hospital where he died shortly after arriving.

Following the incident, more than 100 officers flooded the Loop in search of Thedford. His description was broadcast across the city by radio. Less than four hours after the shooting, a cab driver reported seeing a man matching Thedford’s description to police. He stated that he had seen the man at the Harrison Hotel located at 609 South Wabash. Officers flooded the area and located Thedford attempting to check into a room at the YMCA located at 628 South Wabash Avenue. He was placed into custody and had only $1.00 and a bottle of whisky sour in his possession. Thedford was then transported to the Central Station where eight witnesses identified him as the shooter. He had arrived in Chicago from Dallas, Texas only the day before after serving a prison term for burglary.

On October 5, 1966, Paul E. Thedford was indicted for murder and two counts of robbery. On March 17, 1967, he pleaded guilty. He was sentenced to 30 to 75 years in the Illinois State Penitentiary at Joliet.

Detective Quinnan was waked at King Funeral Home located at 2506 West 63rd Street. His funeral mass was held at St. Rita of Cascia Parish Church located at 6243 South Fairfield Avenue. He was laid to rest on September 23, 1966 in St. Mary Catholic Cemetery, 3801 West 87th Street, Evergreen Park, Illinois. His grave is located in Grave –, Lot X278 B, Block –, Section A.

Detective Daniel Joseph Quinnan, Jr., born May 14, 1928, received his Probationary Appointment to the Chicago Police Department on March 27, 1953. He earned 2 Department Commendations and 28 other awards during his career. He was promoted to the rank of Detective the year before his death.

Detective Quinnan was a member of the Chicago Patrolman’s Club, Chicago Policemen’s Benevolent & Welfare Association, the Illinois Police Association and the St. Jude Police League. He was survived by his wife, Dorothy; mother, Florence Hoerstang (nee Goyer) and siblings: Alice Zoladz, Eileen McGarry, Jane Floerke and Marjorie M. Byrne. He was preceded in death by his father, Daniel Joseph, Sr.