Death Classification: Line of Duty Death

Agency: Chicago Police Department

Served: 31 years, 1 Month, 1 Day

Unit of Assignment / Detail: Bureau of Investigative Services - Detective Division (DD): Unit 650 - Area 5 Detectives

District of Incident (Present Day): 001 - Central

Location of Occurrence: 

Cause of Death: Gunfire - Enemy

Age at Time of Death: 58


Date of Birth: 08 Oct 1933

Date of Appointment: 01 Jul 1957

Date of Incident: 001 - Central

End of Watch: 20 Jul 1992

Date of Interment: 24 Jul 1992


Interment Details

 Cemetery: St. Adalbert Catholic Cemetery - Niles, Illinois
 Grave Location: Unknown
 Interment Disposition: Burial


Memorial Details

Superintendent’s Honored Star Case: Not Enshrined

Gold Star Families Memorial Wall: Panel # 16

Illinois Police Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 3, Line 48

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 7-W: 19

Officer Down Memorial Page: Listed



 Military Service: Unknown


Incident & Biographic Details

Detective Harry A. Belluomini, Star #10021, aged 58 years, was a retired 31 year, 1 Month, 1 Day veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Bureau of Investigative Services – Detective Division: Unit 650 – Area 5 Detectives Property Crimes.

In August 1988, Detective Belluomini retired from the Chicago Police Department and began working as a Special Deputy Marshal for the U.S. Marshall Service.

On July 20, 1992, at approximately 5:30 p.m., inmate Jeffrey Erickson attempted to escape the custody of U.S. Marshals in the underground parking garage of the Dirksen Federal Building located at 219 S Dearborn Street. Hidden in his mouth, Erickson had a handcuff key which he used to remove his restraints. After freeing himself, he assaulted and disarmed a U.S. Marshal. With the marshal’s gun, he immediately shot and wounded Deputy U.S. Marshal Ray Frakes, age 30. Then, he encountered Special Deputy Marshal Harry Belluomini and shot him in the chest. U.S. Marshall Belluomini was able to return fire and strike Erickson in the back. Erickson committed suicide after additional officers confronted him and realized escape was impossible. Special Deputy Marshall Harry Belluomini and Deputy U.S. Marshal Roy Frakes were transported to Northwestern Memorial Hospital and were pronounced dead upon arrival at 5:57 p.m. on July 20, 1992.

Robert Burke was sentenced to 20 years in prison for perjuring himself to a grand jury about his role in providing Jeffrey Erickson with a handcuff key.

Detective Belluomini was waked at Smith-Corcoran Funeral Home located at 6150 North Cicero Avenue. His funeral mass was held at St. Juliana Church located at 7142 North Osceola Avenue. He was laid to rest on July 24, 1992 in St. Adalbert Catholic Cemetery, 6800 North Milwaukee Avenue, Niles, Illinois. His grave is located in Grave 3, Lot 9, Block S, Section 56.

Detective Harry Belluomini, born October 8, 1933, received his Probationary Appointment to the Chicago Police Department on July 1, 1957. He Retired on August 2, 1988.

Detective Belluomini was a member of the Fraternal Order of Police. He was survived by his wife, Milly (nee Cutich); children: Anne Marie (CPD), Karen (CPD) and Michael (CPD) and sister, Loretta M. He was preceded in death by his parents: Frank and Ruth (nee Cecci).