Death Classification: Line of Duty Death

Agency: Chicago Police Department

Served: 15 years, 6 months, 24 days

Unit of Assignment / Detail: Bureau of Field Services - Detective Division (DD): Unit 161 - Bomb & Arson Section

District of Incident (Present Day): 004 - South Chicago

Location of Occurrence: 

Cause of Death: Gunfire - Enemy

Age at Time of Death: 40


Date of Birth: 08 Feb 1929

Date of Appointment: 21 Sep 1953

Date of Incident: 004 - South Chicago

End of Watch: 14 Apr 1969

Date of Interment: 18 Apr 1969


Interment Details

 Cemetery: St. Joseph Cemetery - River Grove, Illinois
 Grave Location: Grave 2, Lot 5, Block 10, Section NN
 Interment Disposition: Burial


Memorial Details

Superintendent’s Honored Star Case: Panel # D-4

Gold Star Families Memorial Wall: Panel # 12

Illinois Police Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 3, Line 18

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 64-W: 3

Officer Down Memorial Page: Listed



 Military Service: U.S. Army


Incident & Biographic Details

Detective Jerome Adolph Stubig, Star #9127, aged 40 years, was a 15 year, 6 month, 24 day veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Bureau of Field Services – Detective Division: Unit 161 – Bomb & Arson Section.

On April 14, 1969, at 2:51 p.m., Detective Stubig and Sergeant James R. Schaffer responded to 9521 South Exchange Avenue with Detective William McInerney and Patrolman Arthur Ciechanowski. Detective McInerney and Officer Ciechanowski climbed the stairs to the 3rd floor rear door of the building while Sergeant Schaffer and Detective Stubig waited at the ground level. The two men knocked on Frank J. Kulak’s door. They announced they were police officers and Kulak answered the knock with gunfire. Both officers had been shot and injured. Sergeant Schaffer and Detective Stubig then climbed the stairs to assist and were injured by an explosion. Kulak had thrown a bomb at the two officers. As they lay injured, Kulak exited his apartment and emptied his carbine into both men, killing them. Kulak then barricaded himself in his apartment and a six-hour gun battle between Kulak, a former marine, and hundreds of heavily armed police ensued. Kulak surrendered to Deputy Police Superintendent James Rochford at 9:00 p.m. that evening. The bodies of Sergeant Schaffer and Detective Stubig were found on the rear porch. Sergeant Schaffer was transported to South Chicago Hospital by beat 470 where he was pronounced dead by Dr. Carroll at 9:30 p.m. on April 14, 1969. Detective Stubig was also transported to South Chicago Hospital by beat 471 where he was pronounced dead by Dr. Carroll at 9:32 p.m. on April 14, 1969. Several other officers were injured either by gunfire or the bomb explosions. They were all treated at South Chicago Hospital and discharged.

It was later learned that Kulak was responsible for six other bombings in which two people were killed and several others injured. Kulak was taken into custody and an arsenal of weapons was recovered from his apartment. Recovered were two carbines, an M-1 rifle, two semi-automatic handguns, two 12 gauge shotguns, a grenade launcher and 30 bombs. One bomb was large enough to level the three-story building if it had gone off. 24 unexploded bombs and grenades were also found outside the building.

On May 15, 1969, Frank Kulak was indicted by the Grand Jury on the Death of four persons. On February 27, 1970, Kulak was found incompetent to stand trial due to paranoid schizophrenia and was ordered held to a maximum security mental facility. In September 1986, the Illinois Appellate Court ruled that Kulak must be released after spending more than 15 years in a state mental health facility in Chester, Illinois. The order required the state to find Kulak eligible for commitment under a civil law proceeding as being a danger to himself and others or release him.

Detective Stubig’ was waked at Drake & Son Funeral Home located at 625 Busse Highway, Park Ridge, Illinois. His funeral mass was held at Immaculate Conception Church located at 7211 West Talcott Avenue. He was laid to rest on April 18, 1969 in St. Joseph Cemetery, 3100 North Thatcher Avenue, River Grove, Illinois. His grave is located in Grave 2, Lot 5, Block 10, Section NN.

Detective Jerome Adolph Stubig, born February 8, 1929, received his Probationary Appointment to the Chicago Police Department on September 21, 1953 and was issued Star #1009. On August 10, 1955, he was issued Patrolman Star #9161 after his previous star number was reallocated for the Sergeant Rank. On September 23, 1968, he was issued Patrolman Star #9127 after reporting his previous star lost. He earned 3 Department Commendations, 3 Honorable Mentions and 7 Complimentary Letters during his career.

Detective Stubig served in the U.S. Army, was a veteran of the Korean War and was Honorably Discharged at the rank of Signal Corps Lineman. He was survived by his wife, Patricia F. (nee Lyons); children: Jaye, Jerry, Patrice, Scott, Sharon and Steven and parents: August and Emma Eva Maria (nee Entress).

Incident Recorded Under Chicago Police Department RD #H122105.