Death Classification: Line of Duty Death

Agency: Chicago Police Department

Served: 4 years, 2 months, 5 days

Unit of Assignment / Detail: Detective Bureau (DB)

District of Incident (Present Day): 001 - Central

Location of Occurrence: 

Cause of Death: Crash - Automobile

Age at Time of Death: 36


Date of Birth: 12 Apr 1910

Date of Appointment: 24 Oct 1942

Date of Incident: 001 - Central

End of Watch: 29 Dec 1946

Date of Interment: 02 Jan 1947


Interment Details

 Cemetery: St. Mary Catholic Cemetery - Evergreen Park, Illinois
 Grave Location: Lot 447, Block --, Section DX
 Interment Disposition: Burial


Memorial Details

Superintendent’s Honored Star Case: Panel # D-2

Gold Star Families Memorial Wall: Panel # 17

Illinois Police Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 4, Line 49

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 31-W: 19

Officer Down Memorial Page: Listed



 Military Service: No Military Record Found


Incident & Biographic Details

Detective Roderick D. MacLeay, Star #6519, aged 36 years, was a 4 year, 2 month, 5 day veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the Detective Bureau.

On December 29, 1946, at 3:00 a.m., Detective MacLeay and his partners, Detectives Erwin C. Rach and Raymond T. O’Hara were transporting a prisoner, Earvlee Sullivan, during a snowstorm, to the Detective Bureau. As they were driving on the 2900 block of South State Street their squad car was struck head on by another car. That car was driven by John Trencan, age 24, who had been drinking for six hours before colliding with the detective’s squad car. Trencan’s car had skidded on the icy pavement and veered into oncoming traffic striking the Detectives’ squad car. Detectives MacLeay and Rach were killed instantly, Detective O’Hara and Mr. Sullivan survived the crash.

John Trencan was heading home with two companions after celebrating the delivery of his new car with a six hour drinking spree at six different taverns. The widows of Detectives MacLeay and Rach filed lawsuits after the crash demanding $75,000 in damages from the taverns and $10,000 each from Trencan. In September of 1948 a settlement of $75,000.00 was reached. The widows of the two deceased detectives each received $24,000.00, Detective O’Hara received $24,000.00 and Sullivan received $3,000. The defendants in the suit included John Trencan and the six taverns: Club Mars, 11338 South Michigan Avenue; Club Rond-E-Voo, 100 West State Street, Calumet City; 8 Ball Tavern, 17249 South Halsted Street; Pink Poodle, 502 South State Street; Trocadero, 525 South State Street and Mildred’s Tavern, 716 South State Street. The widows were able to sue the tavern owners under the Dram Shop Act which allows legal action against the seller of alcoholic beverages when an injury or death occurs as a result of intoxication.

Detective Macleay was waked at a chapel located at 7705 South Cottage Grove Avenue. His funeral mass was held at St. Francis de Paula Church located at 7822 South Dobson Avenue. He was laid to rest on January 2, 1947 in St. Mary Catholic Cemetery, 3801 West 87th Street, Evergreen Park, Illinois. His grave is located in Grave –, Lot 447, Block –, Section DX.

Detective Roderick D. MacLeay, born April 12, 1910, received his Probationary Appointment to the Chicago Police Department on October 24, 1942. He earned 1 Credible Mention and 1 Extra Compensation for Meritorious Conduct totaling $120.00 during his career.

Detective Macleay was a member of the Chicago Policemen’s Benevolent & Welfare Association and the Holy Name Society. He was survived by his wife, Edna (nee Gneurich); parents: Agnes Ella (nee McGuire) and John James and Siblings: Kathryn Murphy, Marcella Wilhelm and Richard J.

On February 20, 2008, Officer MacLeay’s star was retired by Superintendent Jody P. Weis and enshrined in the Superintendent’s Honored Star Case, located in the lobby at Chicago Police Headquarters, 3510 South Michigan Avenue.