Death Classification: Line of Duty Death

Agency: Chicago Police Department

Served: 12 years, 5 months, 22 days*

Unit of Assignment / Detail: District 1, 1st Precinct - Central Detail

District of Incident (Present Day): 002 - Wentworth

Location of Occurrence: 

Cause of Death: Gunfire - Enemy

Age at Time of Death: 56


Date of Birth: 17 Mar 1862

Date of Appointment: 04 Apr 1891

Date of Incident: 002 - Wentworth

End of Watch: 18 Nov 1917

Date of Interment: 21 Nov 1917


Interment Details

 Cemetery: Calvary Cemetery - Evanston, Illinois
 Grave Location: Lot 21, Block 17, Section D
 Interment Disposition: Burial


Memorial Details

Superintendent’s Honored Star Case: Not Enshrined

Gold Star Families Memorial Wall: Not Listed

Illinois Police Officers Memorial Wall: Not Listed

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Wall: Not Listed

Officer Down Memorial Page: Not Listed



 Military Service: No Military Record Found


Incident & Biographic Details

Patrolman Daniel Gleason Keough, Star #3606, aged 56 years, was a 12 year, 5 month, 22 day* veteran of the Chicago Police Department, unit of assigned to District 1, 1st Precinct – Central Detail.

In 1916, Officer Keough attempted to arrest some burglars in a saloon located at 33rd Street and Cottage Grove Avenue. During the arrest, Officer Keough was shot in the groin. He was transported to the hospital where he was treated and released. Officer Keough would later die at his home, located at 1039 Polk Street, from the wounds he sustained during the arrest. He was pronounced dead on November 18, 1917.

Officer Keough was waked at his residence located at 1030 West Polk Street. His funeral mass was held in Requiem at Holy Family Catholic Church located at 1080 West Roosevelt Road. He was laid to rest on November 21, 1917 in Calvary Cemetery, 301 Chicago Avenue, Evanston, Illinois. His grave is located in Grave –, Lot 21, Block 17, Section D.

Patrolman Daniel Gleason Keough, born March 17, 1862, received his Probationary Appointment to the Chicago Police Department on April 4, 1891. He was discharged from the Department on February 25, 1893 and was reinstated on March 22, 1893 with an absence from the Department of 26 days. He was again discharged from the Department on September 30, 1896 and was reinstated on October 31, 1910 with an absence from the Department of 14 years, 1 month and 1 day.

Officer Keough was a member of the St. Patrick’s Council No. 1742 Knights of Columbus. He was survived by his wife, Ellen (nee Hurley); daughter, Helen, mother: Mary and siblings: Catherine Corbett, Margaret, Michael G. and Patrick. He was preceded in death by his brother, Timothy G.

Chicago Police Historical Homicide Database case not found for this incident.