Death Classification: Line of Duty Death

Agency: Chicago Police Department

Served: 4 years, 8 months, 21 days

Unit of Assignment / Detail: District 4, 4th Precinct - Cottage Grove

District of Incident (Present Day): 001 - Central

Location of Occurrence: 

Cause of Death: Gunfire - Enemy

Age at Time of Death: 36


Date of Birth: 15 Nov 1877

Date of Appointment: 23 Nov 1909

Date of Incident: 001 - Central

End of Watch: 17 Aug 1914

Date of Interment: 17 Aug 1914


Interment Details

 Cemetery: Oak Woods Cemetery - Chicago, Illinois
 Grave Location: Unknown
 Interment Disposition: Burial


Memorial Details

Superintendent’s Honored Star Case: Panel # B-3

Gold Star Families Memorial Wall: Panel # 16

Illinois Police Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 1, Line 43

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 58-E: 3

Officer Down Memorial Page: Listed



 Military Service: No Military Record Found


Incident & Biographic Details

Patrolman George H. Trumbull, Star #899, aged 36 years, was a 4 year, 8 month, 21 day veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to District 4, 4th Precinct – Cottage Grove.

On August 17, 1914, at 1:15 a.m., Officer Trumbull was walking his beat near 26th and State Streets with two other officers, Patrolmen Lewis Hall and Lewis Schroeder. Meanwhile, at 2545 South State Street a man by the name of Simon Hogan, and ex-convict, was visiting the private home when he began an argument with the lady of the house, Emma Miller. Hogan had threatened to kill her unless she gave him $1.00. Other residents of the home then attempted to throw Hogan out. In response, he pulled a revolver and started to pistol whip two of them with it. While this was taking place, one of the women in the home ran outside to call for help and drew the attention of Officers Trumbull, Hall and Schroeder whom were walking nearby. The officers followed the woman back to the home to investigate. As they approached the residence Hogan stepped out of the building. Officer Trumbull spotted the gun in Hogan’s hand and lunged forward in an attempt to disarm Hogan. Hogan responded by opening fire and a fusillade of shots followed. When the shooting started, Officers Hall and Schroeder ducked into a nearby doorway for cover. Officer Trumbull was less fortunate as he was hit by Hogan’s shots before he could take cover and return fire. Officer Trumbull shot in four places, one of the bullets having entered his chest lodging below his heart. He collapsed to the ground and died shortly thereafter, his revolver found fully loaded beside his body.

Hogan then fled on foot, Officers Hall and Schroeder gave chase firing at Hogan as he ran. Hogan managed to evade the officers and as he ran, he encountered two other officers on patrol. They stopped and detained Hogan questioning why he was running. Hogan told them that there had been a shooting on 26th Street, pointing in the direction, and he was running to escape harm. The officer released him and ran in the direction he pointed to investigate. Moments later the Officer ran into Officer Hall and Schroeder who inquired if the officers had seen a man matching Hogan’s description running. The two officers, realizing they had let the killer go, joined in the pursuit with Officers Hall and Schroeder. They ran back to where they had last seen Hogan but were unable to locate him.

By this time over fifty officers had responded to the scene in search of Hogan. Captain Coughlin, Lieutenant Grady and several Detectives went to his brother’s house located at 8115 South Federal Street. They had only been there a few minutes when Mrs. Julia Robinson rushed inside. Mrs. Robinson said that Hogan was in her house at 3800 South State Street. The officers rushed to the address, a rooming house above a saloon, where Hogan was holed up. Upon arrival the officer went to the front door, which they found locked. They then went around to the rear where Patrolman Michael Fadden forced the door open. Hogan then opened fire, firing two rounds, one of which passed through Officer Fadden’s hand and then struck his groin. The officers returned fire and two women who had been inside ran to the windows screaming. The women were extracted from the apartment by ladder where a four-hour standoff began. Eventually, Hogan stuck his arm out from behind a drawn window shade. It was at this time a police sharpshooter fired one round from his rifle, which struck Hogan’s hand knocking the gun from it. Shortly thereafter, Hogan came downstairs and surrendered, his injured arm hanging limp and the other over his head.

Hogan was taken into custody and held by the Coroner. On November 27, 1914, Hogan was sentenced to life in the Illinois State Penitentiary at Joliet by Judge Kersten.

Officer Trumbull was waked at his residence located at 4435 North Sidney Court (present day Pine Grove Avenue). He was laid to rest on August 17, 1914 in Oak Woods Cemetery, 1035 East 67th Street, Chicago, Illinois.

Patrolman George H. Trumbull, born November 15, 1877, received his Probationary Appointment to the Chicago Police Department on November 23, 1909.

Officer Trumbull was survived by his wife.

Incident recorded under Chicago Police Historical Homicide Database, Case #5285.