Death Classification: Line of Duty Death

Agency: Chicago Police Department

Served: 1 year, 7 months, 14 days

Unit of Assignment / Detail: 35th District - East Chicago

District of Incident (Present Day): 001 - Central

Location of Occurrence: 

Cause of Death: Gunfire - Enemy

Age at Time of Death: 22


Date of Birth: 16 Aug 1934

Date of Appointment: 16 Nov 1955

Date of Incident: 001 - Central

End of Watch: 30 Jun 1957

Date of Interment: 05 Jul 1957


Interment Details

 Cemetery: St. Joseph Cemetery - River Grove, Illinois
 Grave Location: Lot N 3' 164, Block --, Section II
 Interment Disposition: Burial


Memorial Details

Superintendent’s Honored Star Case: Panel # D-3

Gold Star Families Memorial Wall: Panel # 15

Illinois Police Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 3, Line 3

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 6-E: 6

Officer Down Memorial Page: Listed



 Military Service: No Military Record Found


Incident & Biographic Details

Patrolman Michael Lawrence Lukaszewski, Star #7165, aged 22 years, was a 1 year, 7 month, 14 day veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the 35th District – East Chicago.

On June 29, 1957, Officer Lukaszewski and his partner, Patrolman Anthony Concialdi, age 34, were working the squadrol when they responded to a call for a transport at 342 West Chicago Avenue. They met Detectives T. Bell and M. Smith at the above address. The officers took custody of Lavern Jamison, age 32, of 342 West Chicago Avenue, who was intoxicated and homeless. He was placed in custody by the detectives after he threatened to break every window in a nearby hotel. Jamison made this threat after he had a fight with another man inside the hotel over a woman. He had also threatened to beat the man with a bag of bricks. Jamison was transported to the central lockup arriving at approximately 12:45 a.m. on the 11th floor of the Central Police Building located at 1121 South State Street.

Jamison was joined by three other arrestees and they were placed with their backs against the wall across from the lockup keeper’s desk. Officer Lukaszewski was filling out an arrest slip when Jamison lunged from his position on the wall and disarmed Officer Lukaszewski. As some 50 prisoners looked on a scuffle broke out. As they began to struggle, Officer Concialdi turned just in time to see Jamison fire one round. The round struck Officer Lukaszewski in the head and he fell to the floor as Concialdi ran to assist. Jamison fired again and struck Officer Concialdi in his right forearm. Jamison then attempted to flee down the lockup’s west corridor.

Officer Concialdi returned fire, using his six shot revolver, and struck Jamison five times. At this point, two of the lockup keepers had rushed over at the sound of the gunfire. Lockup Keeper George Scholz was able to seize the gun from Jamison as he tried to make good his escape. Officers’ Lukaszewski and Concialdi were rushed to Presbyterian St. Luke Hospital. Officer Lukaszewski died at 5:10 a.m. on June 30, 1957. Officer Concialdi survived the shooting and would recover. Jamison was also taken to Presbyterian St. Luke Hospital where he died at 3:40 a.m. on June 30, 1957.

Investigators learned that Jamison was a registered guest at the hotel where he was arrested. He was registered under the name Lamar Simmons. Jamison’s RAP Sheet contained three arrests for robbery and a disorderly conduct.

Officer Lukaszewski was waked at Kringas and Marzullo Funeral Home located at 5400 West Harrison Street. His funeral mass was held at Precious Blood Church located at 2248 West Washington Boulevard. He was laid to rest on July 5, 1957 in St. Joseph Cemetery, 3100 North Thatcher Avenue, River Grove, Illinois. His grave is located in Grave –, Lot N 3′ 164, Block –, Section II.

Patrolman Michael E. Lukaszewski, born August 16, 1934, received his Probationary Appointment to the Chicago Police Department on November 16, 1955.

Officer Lukaszewski was a member of the Chicago Policemen’s Benevolent & Welfare Association. He was survived by his wife, Judy (nee Gallagher); mother: Frances (nee Dewal) and brother, Joseph. He was preceded in death by his father, Michael. His father-in-law, a Chicago firefighter, described him as a “hard back“ cop.