Death Classification: Military Service Death

Agency: Chicago Police Department

Served: 28 years, 3 months, 24 days

Unit of Assignment / Detail: 20th District - Foster

District of Incident (Present Day): Kandahar City, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan

Location of Occurrence: 

Cause of Death: Gunfire - Enemy

Age at Time of Death: 62


Date of Birth: 13 Nov 1949

Date of Appointment: 23 Oct 1972

Date of Incident: Kandahar City, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan

End of Watch: 18 Jun 2012

Date of Interment: 02 Jul 2012


Interment Details

 Cemetery: Spooner Cemetery - Spooner, Wisconsin
 Grave Location: Unknown
 Interment Disposition: Burial


Memorial Details

Superintendent’s Honored Star Case: Not Enshrined

Gold Star Families Memorial Wall: Panel #21

Illinois Police Officers Memorial Wall: Not Listed

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Wall: Not Listed

Officer Down Memorial Page: Not Listed



 Military Service: U.S. Marine Corps


Incident & Biographic Details

Police Officer Thomas J. Boyle, Jr., Star #2828, aged 62 years, was a 28 year, 3 month, 24 day veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the 20th District – Foster.

On June 18, 2012, at approximately 5:00 a.m., Officer Boyle was killed in a firefight while working as a security contractor for the Criminal Investigations Department of the Department of Defense for MPRI/Engility Corp, a division of L3 Technologies in Afghanistan. He was stationed at the Joint Base Provincial Reserve in Kandahar City, Kandahar Province, attached to the Army’s 303rd 8-1 CAV from Jackson, Michigan. Thomas was activated with twenty-five other reservists.

The attack occured just after 5:00 a.m., at the Zara Bazaar police base, Kandahar City, Kandahar Province, Afghanistan. A truck, driven by Haji Bismullah, a former Gitmo detainee, came into the Afghani side of the compound with four insurgents. He dropped off the four insurgents dressed as Afghani policemen and introduced them as “new recruits.” After departing the truck, the insurgents split up into groups of two and casually began to walk through the compound getting ready to initiate their murderous rampage.They began to toss grenades. They tossed a grenade into the quarters of Captain Kuduz and killed him. Kuduz was commander of training for the Afghan National Police (ANP) and was scheduled to take command of the unit that day. Officer Boyle was standing with the commanding officer of the unit, LTC Matt McKinley, when he heard the grenades and realized the gun shots were coming their way. It’s believed that Boyle pushed McKinley into safety when he was shot multiple time, by the so-called Afghan police recruits. In addition to Officer Boyle, seven people were killed, including three police officers and the four terrorists, and another six police officers were injured in the clash. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the incident.

Officer Boyle retired from the Chicago Police Department on February 16, 2001 at the age of 51. Upon retirement he went on to work for a private detective agency in Elmhurst, Illinois. After the World Trade Center was destroyed on September 11, 2001 and as a way to contribute to his country he began working as a security contractor overseas. He served in Kosovo and Iraq, where he provided security and training in law enforcement. He was awarded the Defense Medal of Freedom and the Civilian Commander’s award for the investigation and prosecution of eight terrorist bomb makers in Iraq. He was known as a patriot who loved his country and a person who never stopped trying to assist others.

Police Officer Thomas J. Boyle, Jr., born November 13, 1949, received his Probationary Appointment to the Chicago Police Department on October 23, 1972. He attended the Jackson Street Police Academy and was issued Star #2860 on October 23, 1972. On November 29, 1990, he was issued Patrolman Star #282 after reporting his previous star damaged. He earned 5 Department Commendations, 56 Honorable Mentions, 1 Democratic National Convention Award and 13 Complimentary Letters during his career. During his career he was personally responsible for capturing brothers Tyrone and Larry Strickland. The two were later convicted of murdering Wheeling, Illinois Police Officer Kenneth Dawson on November 5, 1985. He also recovered the weapon used in Dawson’s fatal shooting.

Officer Boyle was waked at Leak & Sons Funeral Home located at 18400 South Pulaski Road, Country Club Hills, Illinois. His funeral mass was held at St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church located at 409 North Summit Street, Spooner, Wisconsin. He was laid to rest on July 2, 2012 in Spooner Cemetery, 7309 West Maple Street, Spooner, Wisconsin.

Officer Boyle served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1968 thru 1969, was a veteran of the Vietnam War, who earned the Cross of Gallantry serving two tours, and was Honorably Discharged. He was also a member of the Fraternal Order of Police. Officer Boyle was survived by his wife, Pauline (nee Hastings), and son, Ryan. He was proceded in death by his parents: Regina and Thomas J., Sr.

On January 12, 2017, by resolution (SJ0004) of the 100th General Assembly and sponsored by Senator Dan McConchie, the portion of West County Line Road in Barrington Hills, Illinois from Bateman Road to Brinker Road was designated as Thomas J. Boyle Memorial Road.