Death Classification: Line of Duty Death

Agency: Chicago Police Department

Served: 11 years, 7 months, 7 days

Unit of Assignment / Detail: 15th District - Austin

District of Incident (Present Day): 015 - Austin

Location of Occurrence: 

Cause of Death: Gunfire - Enemy

Age at Time of Death: 36


Date of Birth: 21 Nov 1930

Date of Appointment: 22 Aug 1955

Date of Incident: 015 - Austin

End of Watch: 29 Mar 1967

Date of Interment: 01 Apr 1967


Interment Details

 Cemetery: St. Joseph Cemetery - River Grove, Illinois
 Grave Location: Lot 97, Block 5, Section O
 Interment Disposition: Burial


Memorial Details

Superintendent’s Honored Star Case: Panel # D-4

Gold Star Families Memorial Wall: Panel # 4

Illinois Police Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 3, Line 14

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 18-W: 11

Officer Down Memorial Page: Listed



 Military Service: U.S. Army


Incident & Biographic Details

Sergeant Gerald Eugene Doll, Star #477, aged 36 years, was an 11 year, 7 month, 7 day veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the 15th District – Austin.

On March 29, 1967, at 9:34 p.m., Sergeant Doll was working alone on beat 1580. While on patrol he observed a 1963 Chevy station wagon, later discovered to be stolen, traveling at a high rate of speed northbound on Cicero Avenue. As he attempted to stop the vehicle, the driver, Gary Horton, age 25, of 114 West Chicago Avenue, Oak Park, Illinois, fled. At the same time Patrolman William G. Redden, beat 1503, was traveling Southbound on the 2100 block of North Cicero Avenue when he observed a police vehicle chasing the black Chevy station wagon. Officer Redden made a U-Turn and joined the pursuit. Moments later, the speeding vehicle attempted to turn Eastbound onto Shakespeare Avenue. Horton lost control of the vehicle and it jumped the curb onto and crashed. Horton jumped out and ran around the front of the vehicle. At this time Sergeant Doll exited his car and ordered Horton to stop. Horton, hearing the Sergeant’s voice, swung around and produced a sawed off shotgun from under his coat and fired twice. Sergeant Doll was struck by the shotgun blast and returned fire, shooting six times emptying his revolver before collapsing. Horton then fled on foot Eastbound on Shakespeare with his passenger, Delia Ann Jones, age 25, of 3303 North Cicero Avenue.

Officer Redden pulled up just as the sergeant fell and gave chase. As they ran, Officer Redden fired three rounds at Horton. He chased them into the south alley of West Palmer Street. As Officer Redden turned into the “T“ alley he could see Jones about to turn and run Eastbound in the north alley of Shakespeare. He fired three more rounds at the girl striking her in the back, thigh and leg causing her to collapse to the ground. Officer Redden then ran back to assist the fallen officer and discovered it was Sergeant Doll. He called in a 10-1, police officer shot and requested an ambulance. After radioing in Officer Redden ran back to the alley and discovered the girl was now gone. He looked down the “T“ alley and saw no one but took notice of a garage door cracked open at 4733 West Palmer Street. He then ran back to Sergeant Doll and to direct the responding officers. Once the scene was secure, Officer Redden and other officers went back to the alley and the garage door that was cracked open was now closed. The officer entered and conducted a search of the garage. Officer Redden found Jones hiding inside and placed her in handcuffs. Jones was then transported to Belmont Hospital for treatment.

Horton was wounded by Sergeant Doll but managed to make good his escape, but only temporarily. He was later found during a search of the area in a yard located at 2218 North Keating dead from the wounds he received in the shootout. Sergeant Doll was transported to St. Ann’s Hospital by beat 1470 where he was pronounced dead by Dr. Farrell at 10:22 p.m. on March 29, 1967.

On April 19, 1967, the Grand Jury returned a true bill on Delia Jones for murder, armed robbery, and auto theft. On December 19, 1967, Jones pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter and was sentenced to 8 to 20 years in prison by Judge Francis T. Delaney. Jones also pleaded guilty to a charge of robbery and auto theft and she was sentenced to 8 to 20 years for the two charges, one which brought 10 years. The sentences ran concurrently with the first sentence. Jones became eligible for parole after seven years.

Sergeant Doll was waked at Ahern Funeral Home located at 1110 West Madison Street. His funeral mass was held in Requiem at St. Lucy Church located at 3018 South Wells Street. He was laid to rest on April 1, 1967 in St. Joseph Cemetery, 3100 North Thatcher Avenue, River Grove, Illinois. His grave is located in Grave –, Lot 97, Block 5, Section O.

Sergeant Gerald Eugene Doll, born November 21, 1930, received his Probationary Appointment to the Chicago Police Department on August 22, 1955 and was issued Star #2237. On March 23, 1965, he was promoted to the rank of Sergeant and issued Star #437. On March 21, 1967, he was issued Sergeant Star #477. He earned 1 Honorable Mentions during his career.

Sergeant Doll served in the U.S. Army, was a veteran of the Korean War and was Honorably Discharged. He was also a member of Amvets Post No. 97, the Illinois Police Association, and the St. Jude Police League. Sergeant Doll was survived by his expectant wife, Mary Agnes (nee Flynn); children: Donald, Edward J. and Gerald J.; step-children: Marianne and Margaret; parents: Josephine (nee Newberg) and Leslie F. and siblings: Frank Leslie, Georgiana and Michael Anthony. On June 21, 1967, his wife gave birth to a baby boy, Donald K. Doll.

Incident Recorded Under Chicago Police Department RD #F092385.