Death Classification: Performance of Duty Death

Agency: Chicago Police Department

Served: 18 years, 8 months, 9 days

Unit of Assignment / Detail: 21st District - Scotland Yards

District of Incident (Present Day): 012 - Near West

Location of Occurrence: 

Cause of Death: Illness - Cardiac Arrest

Age at Time of Death: 46


Date of Birth: 18 Jun 1884

Date of Appointment: 26 Feb 1912

Date of Incident: 012 - Near West

End of Watch: 04 Nov 1930

Date of Interment: 07 Nov 1930


Interment Details

 Cemetery: Holy Sepulchre Cemetery - Alsip, Illinois
 Grave Location: Grave 2, Lot S25, Block 12, Section 7
 Interment Disposition: Burial


Memorial Details

Superintendent’s Honored Star Case: Panel # D-9

Gold Star Families Memorial Wall: Panel # 3

Illinois Police Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 5, Line 14

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Wall: Panel # 53-E: 29

Officer Down Memorial Page: Listed



 Military Service: No Military Record Found


Incident & Biographic Details

Sergeant Michael R. Twohig, Star #592, aged 46 years, was an 18 year, 8 month, 9 day veteran of the Chicago Police Department, assigned to the 21st District – Scotland Yards.

On November 4, 1930, at 10:55 a.m., Sergeant Michael Twohig was working the second watch in plain clothes as a reserve sergeant for the polling places in his district. While working he monitored a radio assignment given to Ford Auto No. 16, Patrolmen Stephan Glon and John Lamb. The officers were assigned a Larceny call at 1828 South Fisk Street. Sergeant Twohig responded to the call and met the officers at the scene. Upon arrival, the officers were met by Mrs. Kintorn, owner of the building. She escorted the officers into the first floor apartment where they met the complainant, John V. Kaven, a real estate agent. Mr. Kaven alleged that John Able stole $45.00 from him. He also stated that he had traced Able to his home, a small cottage at the rear of 1828 South Fisk Street. Sergeant Twohig and the officers proceeded to the cottage to see if Able was home. Mrs. Mary Able answered the door and began to scream. At this point Mrs. Kintorn interceded and explained to Mrs. Able in the Bohemaian language what the officers wanted. Mrs. Able then told the officers that her husband wasn’t home. Sergeant Twohig then explained that he wanted to escort Mrs. Able to the station for a conversation. She became very excited and bolted down the back stairs into the alley. Once in the alley she tripped and fell. As Sergeant Twohig and Officer Glon picked her up, she became combative. While Sergeant Twohig was trying to restrain her, he began to get weak and sank to the ground in a sitting position and slowly laid back. Officer Lamb came to his aide and lifted up his head and saw that his face was of a yellowish blue color. Officer Lamb then called for the Auto Patrol. The Auto Patrol in charge of Patrolman A. Huff, and driven by Patrolman C. Burns, responded in company of Lieutenant James Flynn and Sergeant Valenta. Sergeant Twohig was transported to Cook County Hospital by the Auto Patrol and was pronounced dead at 12:30 p.m. on November 4, 1930. His cause of death was ruled from chronic myocarditis. Per the Coroner’s physician, Dr. Feinberg, no inquest would be held and a doctors certificate would be issued.

Sergeant Twohig was waked at Frank J. Malone Funeral Home. He was laid to rest on November 7, 1930 in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, 6001 West 111th Street, Alsip, Illinois. His grave is located in Grave 2, Lot S25, Block 12, Section 7.

Sergeant Michael R. Twohig, born June 18, 1884, received his Probationary Appointment to the Chicago Police Department on February 26, 1912 and was issued Star #361. On August 15, 1917, he was promoted to the rank of Detective Sergeant and issued Star #592. On June 28, 1921, he was promoted to the rank of Sergeant and issued Star #821. He earned 3 Credible Mentions during his career. Officer Twohig left Lowertown Schull, County Cork, Ireland in early 1920 to work and live in America.

Sergeant Twohig was survived by his wife, Susan (nee Doherty), age 40 and children: Michael Frances, age 16 and Robert Joseph, age 8. His son, Michael, had a son who fought in the battle of Normandy. In December of 2011 Sergeant Twohig’s grandson was aged almost 90 years.

Chicago Police Department homicide file / death record not found for this incident.

On June 25, 2013, Officer Twohig’s star was retired by Superintendent Garry McCarthy and enshrined in the Superintendent’s Honored Star Case, located in the lobby at Chicago Police Headquarters, 3510 South Michigan Avenue.